How is this done (hyd pump mounted in resivoir)

I got an email from a fellow asking who one would mount a hydraulic pump on a vertical shaft engine in a resivoir. He has a log splitter factory made (out of business now) that is missing the motor and pump. It originally had the motor mounted directly on top of the resivoir with the pump attached to the motor and running submerged in the actual resivoir. How would this be done. I just can't see or visualize it. Resivoir has outlets directly from side to cylinder and valve, so evidently it must have had flexible line from pump outlet to the resivoir tanks outlet. Thats about the only way I could visualize it. As for return it would be simple enough to plumb ridgid tube from pump inlet to tank bottom or to a strainer.

Any thoughts?

-- Visit my website: Remove nospam for correct address http:// snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Contents: foundry and general metal working and lots of related projects. Regards Roy aka Chipmaker // Foxeye Opinions are strictly those of my wife....I have had no input whatsoever. Remove nospam from email address

Reply to
Roy

Sounds a lot like a power steering pump on a car. Ever take one apart? BTW, these typically put out about 1500 PSI and make good log splitters.

Need more volume? Run more than one pump in parallel.

They also make decent pressure washers, but will rust up unless you flush themwith oil when finished.

Ron Thompson On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast USA

'Don't trust anything that has no moving parts. Especially if it's a relative' Red Green

Reply to
Ron Thompson

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Roy ) wrote in news:3fb98d62.45596998 @news.east.earthlink.net:

whatsoever.

We have many, many hydraulic pumps set up just this way, except electric. This is pretty standard actually. The suction side of the pump will have a short hard-tubed intake piped toward the bottom of the tank, bent at a 45° angle and then the end trimmed to create a vertical face. This pipe WILL NOT contact the bottom of the tank, it will stop about 3" from the bottom. You do not want to pick up whatever trash settles at the bottom of the tank into the pump. The pressure side of the pump generally has a flexible line that runs to a bulkhead fitting in the tank wall/top, if the outlet is not cast into the pump body.

Reply to
Anthony