Canadian supplier of case-hardening powder?

Hi,
I'm looking for a small quantity of case-hardening powder
and was wondering if anyone here knew where I could get
some.
My local suppliers just shrug their collective shoulders and
a web search turns up some place in England (I think) and
not much more. I'd prefer a Canadian mail order supplier
but US would do - though the customs charges annoy me. It's
not critical, just hobby stuff, but it would be nice to find
a source. Any suggestions?
David...
Reply to
FixerDave
One such product is "Kasenit". Your locals will probably recognize the name, If not it's available in the States from
IIRC it's around $11/lb can. MSC and Victor also have it. Google returned 270 hits.
Reply to
keith bowers
I got some 'HARD-N-TUFF' from James Morton Limited. Cambridge Ontario N1R 5V5 Tel. 519 621 7240. It's a green non toxic powder. That was about 30 years ago. I don't know if they are still in business. Good luck.
Reply to
John
Last I knew Brownell's handled "Kasenit"(sp?)... Quite a while back..
Paul in AJ AZ
Reply to
Pep674
Still listed by Canada 411
James Morton Ltd Phone: (519)621-7240 75 State Street, Cambridge, ON N1R 3L3
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
This outfit
sell you a 1 lb can of Casenit for $12.75 US
If you find a Canadian supplier please post the URL here.
What were you planning to use for an oven?
Reply to
John Ings
Fixer Dave:
Called James Morton this morning and they no longer sell Hard N Tuff. They mentioned Casenit as a replacement but couldn't tell me where to purchase it .
Jimbo
Reply to
Jimbo
Dave, I have a jar of "Quick-Hard" made by Harris-Welco in the States. Purchased it from Praxair in Prince George, BC. Try a local welding shop. Mike in the rhubarb of NorthCentral BC
Reply to
Michael Gray
Hey Michael,
Whereabouts do you live? I have a brother a few miles north of Williams Lake. Works for BC Rail.
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Reply to
Brian Lawson
Brian, it's Burns Lake, about 300 miles from Billy's Slough. If our dearly beloved premier has his way it won't be BC Rail he works for for much longer! Mike in BL
Reply to
Michael Gray
Hard N Tuff. They
where to purchase it
Wow, thanks, that saves me a long distance call :)
I was wondering how to start the conversation with them... "30 years ago, you sold someone something called... :) Think the salesman would remember the guy?
powder
shoulders and
and
supplier
It's
find
here.
Depends on what the instructions say on the stuff I get. Way back in grade 9, the last time I did case-hardening, we just got the part to red-hot, rolled it around in a tin full of ... and then quenched. However, I've read that some types require baking for a period of time in a sealed box. If this is the case then I'll just use my foundry furnace... when I build it - it's my next project as I'd like to get into casting aluminium, and maybe brass.
And yes, I'll post whatever source I wind up with.
David...
Reply to
FixerDave
the States.
Okay, I can work with this, we have a local Praxair in Victoria. I'll wander by tomorrow. If I'm successful, I'll post the details.
David...
P.S. I'd do a web-search on 'Quick-Hard' but the results... well, I can imagine what the results would be ;)
Reply to
FixerDave
I did:
Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Reply to
Gerald Miller
If you are in Victoria, BC, almost any welding shop will have case hardening compound. My last jar of it came from Totem.
Steve R.
Reply to
Udie
Hi,
thanks to all for their input. I've just ordered some Quick-Hard from Praxair in Victoria. It was $30 CDN, for a 1 pound can, which is a little more expensive than I had expected. But, it's still comparable to mail ordering Kasenit from Brownells (considering exchange, shipping, and the fee Canada Post collects for their hard work collecting government taxes... Welcome to Canada) It's not too expensive when you consider that I expect this one can to last me the rest of my life :)
You've all been a big help. It's a lot easier to get what you want when you know what to ask for... and where to ask.
David...
P.S. from my web searches, it appears that KASENIT CO INC has gone out of business - at least companies are offering "close-out sale" prices on the stuff.
and
It's
find
Reply to