Chemical Sensors

Is there anything like a chemichal sensor that can be used in robotics?
I research ant colony algorithms and I'm thinking about creating a robotic
ant colony. For that I need small robots that can grab and carry things and can sense the direction of a given chemical agent. (smell driven)
Thanks
Padu
Padu,
Sounds like an interesting project. This might be useful: http://www.circuitcellar.com/pastissues/articles/silvio108/text.htm .
Excerpt: "This article presents a possible application of odor sensing in mobile robots. The robot estimates the maximum gas concentration point and moves toward it or can also follow a smelling path on the ground...With todays technology, its possible to build an electronic nose with two gas sensors. In this application, I used Figaro TGS822 solvent sensors that are tin-dioxide (SnO2) semiconductor gas sensors [2]. When a gas is present, an oxido-reduction reaction occurs on the sensing element and the surface resistance changes."
Mitch Berkson
Padu wrote:

Sounds like a nice starting point... thank you

sensors.
an