Cold Heat?

Has anyone tried the Cold Heat soldering tool? It seems to employ a type of resistance soldering to provide an "instant" heat effect. Although
it's so cheap it sounds like a scam. Is this thing good for any real work?
I'm curious about this too. The TV ad is very impressive, plus they throw in one of those "quik strip" style automatic wire strippers. But like you, I'm wary...

Hmmm.... Worth looking into tho'. Apparently induction heating. Which brings up certain concerns. See 'Arcing' under the FAQ. Lack of ability to provide for proper ground/static strapping isn't a bell ringer unfortunately. Advise extreme caution until someone(reliable and unbiased) get's ahold of one and tests it properly. Inducing a large voltage on any semiconductor is prone to destroying it and then there's the real risk of static electricity discharge. http://www.coldheat.com/products.php FWIW. Isotip(wahl) runs about three times $ and it's definately not instant cool. If the company can show 'semiconductor safety', cut the package down to a pencil size, and use NiMh or even NiCd battery source, I can see this as an excellent hobbyist and proto tool. Lot of if there. This is NOT an endoresement.
Have fun damnit.

work?
On 12 Jul 2004 10:50:24 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (John Vannoy) wrote:

I've seen a commercial for those wire strippers. you get "not just one but two" of them and a CD-ROM (or was it a DVD?) with instructions on how to solder for only $29.95 or so. These look like the same strippers as I've bought for a dollar at a local "Price cutter" dollar store (the stripper jaws are at a right angle to the handle). They work, sort of, but they're obviously very cheap. I still prefer my Paladin stripper that I paid $40 or so for about 20 years ago, and that now sell for about $70.

I've heard of resistance soldering (heating the material being soldered by passing high current through it) as a legitimate technique, but I wouldn't buy crap from a TV ad.

Hiya
I checked out the website WWW.coldheattools.com and read their faq file. Two things worry me. One, it isnt UL approved (the site says low voltage electronics doesnt require this) and two, the tip can sometimes arc and may possibly damage sensitive electronics.
Think I will wair for awhile before getting one
jeff
c.weber wrote:

Actually, it looks like Thinkgeek and Amazon are selling them, so there may be some merit. I'll get one and report my findings.