dc motor plans

I would like to design and build a dc motor driven cart that would push a bicycle. Are there resources, books, articles, Web sites that I
could look up basic principles of dc motor driven gadgets, i.e., motor selection, drive mechanisms etc.?
    --There's a fellow who posts at rec.crafts.metalworking who's working on some sort of scratch-built electric scooter. Try a post over there for a few juicy tidbits...
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another Fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...