good source for cheap standard size servos in largish quantities?

Hi - I'm looking to buy at least 18 standard size servos for a hexapod I'm working on. Does anyone know of any good sources for getting them fairly cheap? I've searched through this newsgroup on google - but haven't found too many good prices. I was hoping to spend about $10 each or so - but so far the best I've been able to find is about $15. Or are servos in that price range now worth bothering with? Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

JM

Reply to
John Mianowski

Hitec standard servos $8.95 and free shipping.

Reply to
Dave

ServoCity.com would be my recommendation as a low-cost outlet, but I don't recommend the HS-311s for this application. They don't have any bushing at all, and while they're fine for general purpose, IMO they're not suitable for an 18-servo hexapod. In a 3DOF leg, the six "hip" servos supporting the most weight receive a lot of wear and tear.

In fact, I don't recommend any of the lowest-priced Hitec or Futaba servos for this application. Both companies have "cheapened" their entry-level servos and made them lighter weight, and without metal bearings or bushings.

In that price range I'd recommend instead the GWS S03, which comes in a variety of torques. Example: the S03N (normal) has 56 oz-in at 6 volts, and has Oilite top and bottom bushings. ServoCity doesn't sell this brand, but others do, and they're right at the $10 price point the OP is looking for. Try Balsa Products at

or Junun.org. The ball bearing versions are a little more, and might be worth it.

-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

Dave wrote:

Reply to
Gordon McComb