Electric motor breaking

I have a robot design that needs to climb a hill. Part way I up I want to stop it to take some observations. Problem I am coming into is that when I disengage drive power the motors start to freewheel and the robot rolls backwards.

Without putting in a dedicated break is there any way to do a motor break?

Thanks, David

Reply to
David Shoemaker

You could apply just enough power to your motors to counteract gravity and hold them stationary. You'd need a way to sense wheel rotation, but you might already have that if you have motor shaft encoders installed.

Cheers,

-Brian

Reply to
Brian Dean

That would waste an awful lot of energy, and maybe even damage the motors, if you stopped for a while. My suggestion? Two words: worm gears.

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

if it is a rather light-weight robot, one solution may be to glue (or screw into a mounting hole) a plastic or wood post by the post coming out of the motor. then you could attatch a sort of triangle that is rounded on one side to the post.

with this in place, the motor should be able to turn only one direction. might pose a problem backing up though :).

just a thought

Reply to
C.M. Hobbs

why dont you use stepper motors then naturally break due to the way they work

Reply to
ukm3_0

I would try to short-circuit the motoros' wireings: any movement of the shaft would generate a current that would in turn generate a magnetic field in the motor trying to compensate for the movement. At least in theory. Worth a try...

Andras Tantos

Reply to
Andras Tantos

Yes, I have used the 'short circuit' technique before and it works. Most full-bridge drivers have the ability to act as a break by shorting the motor. The only problem is that ultimately there are some losses in the system and so the EMF generated by the motor isn't enough to overcome a large force, but you should be ok on a slope. Regards,

Geoffrey.

Reply to
Geoffrey Swales

Yup,

Just implement a servo loop.

Mike

Reply to
Blueeyedpop

Reply to
snowdy

My main problem with the active breaking systems people are suggesting (which all sound like good ideas) is that this is a solar powered unit. As such I don't really have a lot of spare power and when I am stopped I would rather be using the juice to recharge my storage cells then using it running the motors.

David

Reply to
David Shoemaker

Didn't see what other people are suggesting, but are worm drive motors an option?

Reply to
Blueeyedpop