Exploded NiCd Batteries

While attempting a home-charge of a set of NiCd batteries, they were left unattended and consequently exploded (relatively high current was
flowing through them). The basement area in which the explosion took place is currently being ventilated overnight.
Does anyone have any recommendations for further safety precautions or clean-up procedures?
Thanks
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca wrote:

How much of an explosion? If the battery completely disintegrated, you have metallic cadmium and cadmium hydroxide sprinkled around the place, and possibly also compounds of cobalt and other fairly nasty stuff. If it just vented without totally rupturing, there probably isn't much toxic material around. Take a look at the recommended cleanup procedure here <http://www.cornerstone-lsp.com/documents/msds/MFNCMSDS.pdf - if you have a shop vac with HEPA, use it.
Warning: The cadmium electrode is pyrophoric (may ignite spontaneously in air). If the battery is ruptured, it is an ongoing fire hazard; it may ignite by itself.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Polytechforum.com is a website by engineers for engineers. It is not affiliated with any of manufacturers or vendors discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.