Gyro / Tilt Sensor Question

Hi,

I've been reading up on RC helicopter gyros, and if I understand correctly they only measure one axis and are used to trim out unwanted yaw motion (rotation around the rotor shaft). For my application I need to sense rotation in the other two axis, roll and pitch (I'm not interested in yaw). Could I use two of these cheap piezo gyros mounted on their sides (rather than flat) to measure these axis?

The other problem is that these gyros will output a PWM signal to be fed into the servos, Ideally the sensor I want to use would output an analogue voltage depending on it's tilt angle. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim

These guys

have two-axis sensors that with analog outputs (roughly +1 to +4 with "level" corresponding to +2.5).

I've played with their SSY009XX series in a low dynamic rate application and was pretty happy with it. The response to a step change is fairly damped, which can be good in some applications, not so good in others. IIRC, the qty one price was about US$100.

Reply to
Rich Webb

Look at ADXL103 from Analog Devices..

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Fred*

try the following

they have the kits & boards for the autopilot project at
Lots of very good info about the sort of thing you want to do.

Regards, Rob>Look at ADXL103 from Analog Devices..

Reply to
robin.hartley

Thanks for your help guys, some interesting stuff there. With regards to the ADXL103 from Analog Devices, how can i buy one on it's own? I can only see pricing for 1000+ units. Incidentally, I just remembered that I've got an old Microsoft sidewinder freestyle pro in the loft that has been there for years. It is a game pad that responds (in analogue) to the direction you tilt it in. It is actually perfect for what I need, but if memory serves when plugged into the PC it drifted quite a lot. Cheep components I expect. Still, I'll open it up tonight and have a look at what is going on inside.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

You can try getting free samples directly from AD. You can also buy them retail from distributors like Digikey

although they appear to be out-of-stock at the moment.

Reply to
Chris S.

I bought mine from Digikey, but

usually has a similar MEMs accelerometer already mounted on a little PCB module for you to use. Digikey has the ADXL150 and ADXL250 accelerometer chips in stock still. The ADXL103 is really hard to get. AD has a little eval board for the MEMs chips too. If you want a nice MEMS Gyro the Analog Devices ADXRS series are really neat, Digikey numbers ADXRS150ABG-ND and ADXRS300ABG-ND and they have these in stock too. I did a
Projects article about using the MEMs gyros and accelerometers a while back. Motorola/Freescale makes a nice MEMs accerometer as well, Digiikey number MMA1220D-ND a digikey search for freescale MMA turns up a bunch of hits and they have some of these in stock as well. There are some other MEMs chips under the Digikey number MSP1002-ND, MSP1004-ND , MSP1005-ND MSP6869-ND and MSP6870-ND Enjoy they are lots of fun.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

try to ask a sample on AD website..

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Fred*

I'm not sure if I remember well, but there could be another reference of ADXL on Farnell catalog.. to be verified..

"Jim" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Fred*

Try MEMSIC for samples as well. They have some very good dual-axis units and you can specify PWM or analog outputs.

Reply to
Bill Turnip