Help me...

greetings..i'm a CS students and i have some question to ask..does anyone know how to connect a remote controlled car to my laptop???i'm trying to control it using c# via myaptop...pls help me....thanks

Reply to
dino

greetings..i'm a CS students and i have some question to ask..does anyone know how to connect a remote controlled car to my laptop???i'm trying to control it using c# via myaptop...pls help me....thanks

Reply to
dino

You can't do this. Its a EE problem.

Please change majors, and it will be obvious.

donald

Reply to
Donald

Need more info here. You would need to interface the rc car transmitter to your computer and there is simply not enough information given to know. Are you good with electronics? Maybe this is beyond your scope of knowledge.

It would perhaps be simpler to create a simple servo propelled robot with a microcontroller. It is quite easy to build one from a couple of modified hobby servos and a Basic Stamp microcontroller from Parallax Inc. Or you can just purchasetheir BOE-Bot kit which is basically a chasiss with a power upply, two servos, a Basic tamp, and a breadboard on it. They have a bluetooth module that you can connect up to the breadboard. That would allow you to send commands via bluetooth to the BOE-Bot (or your own created bot).

I have created a robot that uses the BS-1 prototype board ($29.95), a couple of modified servos ($14), a couple of wheels ($7), a breadboard ($12), and a piece of expanded PVC foam ($1).

Simply glue the servos to the bottom of the PVC foam (use 5 minute epoxy) and attach the wheels. Attach the BS-1 prototype board and breadboard to the top of the PVC foam (use 4-40 screws). Attach a ping pong ball as a rear wheel (just glue it on, it doesn't have to rotate) and you have a bot you can program. Now get the bluetooth module and you'll be in business. The BS-1 prototype board, modified servos, wheels, and bluetooth module can be bought through Parallax Inc. The PVC foam board can be found at your local plasticsdealer (like TAP Plastics here where I live). The breadboard can be bought at RadioShack and the ping pong ball, well you know.

Hopefully, you can get a bluetooth card for your computer and program in c# a program that can send commands to the bot you made over bluetooth.

If you want to go the BOE-Bot route, you can pick one up from a number of locations.You can get one from Parallax itself, or they sell them at Radio Shack. Itis much more powerful than the little bot I described building above.

BTW, I know that I keep talk> greetings..i'm a CS students and i have some question to ask..does

Reply to
Randy Hootman

There are a lot of resources on the internet for this. In combination with what this news group can tell you and what you find on the WWW. You can probably piece together a PC controlled robot.

Robotics is not a single degree field either. It covers Electronics, Math, Mechanical, and almost all of the disciplines.That is what makes it challenging, it involves so many fields of study and work.

Mr.G

Reply to
Mr.G

If it is a simple remote control setup with just buttons for left/right/foward/back, then a couple of resistors/transistors connected to a parallel port might do.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

To be honest -you will need some understanding of electronics and you would have to open your remote control and start looking for transmitted control signals using a tool called an "oscilloscope" - working backward from the transmitted signal until you find a signal that can be duplicated with your computer.

I've done it with a little Radio Shack car - but nobody here would have a clue unless you tell them the model of your transmitter and it is quite doubtfull that anyone would have hacked that specific model.

I suggest you just keep asking yourself questions and find out if this is something you want to get into. If the answer keeps coming up "yes" - then keep learning and asking until the people stop being jerks like me and the answers start making sense.

Just out of curiosity... What are the specs of your transmtter?

Bart

Reply to
Bart