How can we filter this bullshit out and get our group back?

This is complete bullshit. What used to be a vibrant group of robot geeks has turned into a spam monkey and I am sick of it. Has anyone
successfully filtered this crap and gotten rid of all the bot postings?

I know what you mean - I use to post here over 10 years ago - wandered past for a bit of nostalgia and thought it had all died!

A simple email request to SuperNews has taken care of it there. It appears to be done manually so you sometimes see a few. At this time none are present. A similar request to my ISP, Charter, exhausted my patience.
Gary

I've had the same result from Charter. They suck. For temporary (hopefully) refuge a lot of us have gone over to Gordon McComb's fallout shelter at: www.robotpalace.com/forum/
JCD
twgray wrote:

I see virtually none of it when accessing the group via a commercial usenet service, as compared to the hundreds of posts through the relatively unmanaged newsserver from my home DSL provider.
I think it would be A Bad Thing if all/most usenet traffic became consolidated onto a few commercial hosts. OTOH, sometimes it's nice to have one to fall back on.
--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA

twgray a crit :

If you subscribe to a filtered news service (some of them are free), with cleanfeed and NoCeM system enabled, you won't notice any spam/sporge.
Xavier Roche wrote:

Could you post a little more information on the "free" aspect?
-Wayne
Wayne C. Gramlich a crit :

Sure. <http://www.albasani.net/index.html.en (includes filters AFAIK) <http://news.aioe.org/ (includes filters AFAIK)
And others: <http://www.google.com/Top/Computers/Usenet/Public_News_Servers/
Most of these servers are text-only, that is, not binary-centric, unlike many other (bad) Internet Service provider servers which are only interested by alt.binaries.*
On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:06:46 -0800 (PST), twgray

Instead of using google, why don't you see if Time Warner has a news server. All the spam is cancled off of my ISP's news server. When my news reader down loads the post subject lines, I see a quick number that apparently indicates the origional number of new post (like ~240), but the actual subject lines downloaded may only be ~16 spam free ones. If you want to continue to use google groups, then you should complain to them (but good lick actually finding a useable email address).