selecting system

Hello everybody, I've worked for some time in robotics.But that'd been some simple works. working with atmel's 8051 uc. (89s52), for line
tracking, odometry and motion control.
Now I'd like to concentrate on some kind of machine vision, say to detect specific object , color etc. Although we can use PC for the purpose, I'd like to have some uc or processor embedded in robot. So which micro controller / processor would be suitable for the this additional purpose of image processing. PIC? AVR? ... and I suppose it must have sufficient speed and powerful.
can I have the estimated cost for the over all system too?
Also it'd be great if I can know basics on which kind of cameras to use, interfacing the camera i.e overall system. Having some experience with VHDL, if FPGA could give the solution please advise me.
Waiting for your help!!!

Hello,
Are you wanting to start from scratch on this project? There are some ready made vision systems that you could check out. One is the CMU, Cam there are a couple different versions of this, the CMU Cam 3 lets you wite your own firmware and is open source. The other is called Robo Eye, I know very little about this system. Both system can be bought from www.robotshop.ca
You might get more feedback at the replacement forum, because this forum is under attack by spam. http://robotpalace.com/forum/index.php
Joe McKibben