Interesting Chip/Module

I have been playing with some FTDI FT2232D USB chips that are pretty interesting. They are capable of providing a pair of UARTs on a USB cable and they are also capable of providing several varieties of parallel access. FTDI has downloadable libraries and drivers for UART, SPI and I2C as well as simple parallel, uC bus emulation and a couple of other parallel configurations. I have used them as UARTs and simple parallel access. The drivers work pretty well and the libraries that I have used all work pretty well.

The reason that I am excited about this part is that it brings the easy software access back that I had in the old DOS days before protected driver modes and the old ISA days where an interface board was simple to build. To make it even more acessible, they sell modules that have the part, a crystal, and USB connector on a 40 pin DIP footprint. This module brings back the easy accessibility and fast hacking for simple hardware toys. The modules are $35 from Mouser.

I don't have any connection with FTDI, I am just having fun with their parts and though some other people might also.

Enjoy, BobH

Reply to
BobH

I have had these modules on special at $29USD for some time now, as they haven't sold well for me. Not many left now, see:

Cheers Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

I use these modules for various jobs. Some versions have a built in PIC, which enables you to make simple self contained interface stuff. For example I made a linear camera using one of the cmos linear arrays. I also made a simple colour analyser using one of the Taos colour sensor chips.

have fun !

Dave

BobH wrote:

Reply to
Dave

I wish that I had known that! I have been working on them at work and I just ordered a couple to play with at home along with another parts order for something else.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
BobH

Sorry Bob,

I have specials running all the time, that range generally from 25% to

90% off. The DLP items seems to be a good seller in the US, and are a good product, but haven't been selling for me, so I reduce the price, and move them out.

Nothing wrong with the modules at all, simply not selling well for me.

Cheers Don...

Reply to
Don McKenzie

The newer modules, based on the FT232RL are even simpler. They don't require a external crystal, although they only have a single UART port. Sparkfun sells a breakout module for only $14.95

There is also the parallel version:

The raw chips are available for under $4

Dave Hylands

Reply to
dhylands

Hi Dave, The modules with the FT2232D have everything on board, no external parts required. I did a simple network accessible reset switch for our people that are doing remote debugging and the only external parts were DIP relays, diodes and binding posts.

I think the raw chips are about $6, but until I get farther into a project that needs the volume of PCB's these little modules are tough to beat. I have another project where I want to use the CPU bus emulation so I can control some pretty significant hardware in an FPGA. That one will get a PC board.

Bob

Reply to
BobH