RS232 CNC control cable

My son has his old matsuura up and running. Its pre LAN connection, needs the RS232 port to download CNC programs.
I did this ages ago, but have forgot how.
Question 1, how do I wire the cable?
Question 2, what program works with W7 to talk to the control?
Last time I did this it was DOS and Procomm.
Karl
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 10:25:00 -0500, Karl Townsend

In parallel, Karl. (sorry, hadda do it)
http://www.aggsoft.com/rs232-pinout-cable/images/RS232-pinout.gif

Win7 doesn't do RS232, and the parallel-to-USB unit I bought didn't work, which meant giving up my dear old HP DJ5p.
Call Matsuura for help?

Fond memories!
--
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love.
-- Sophocles

The Win7 laptop beside me has a back-panel COM1 port set to 9600,8,N,1.
Its Device Manager has an entry for "Ports (COM & LPT)."
Port Settings > Advanced accepts settings for COM1 to COM256. COM3 thru COM6 are "(in use)", the upper two for a USB cellular modem that appears as two virtual COM ports. -jsw
On Sat, 20 Sep 2014 13:59:03 -0700, Larry Jaques

============http://tinyurl.com/pgwpfho
http://tinyurl.com/lr6n2rg
http://tinyurl.com/lujpdrj
==============http://tinyurl.com/q7k6xwv
http://tinyurl.com/qd2zcf4
http://tinyurl.com/od6zhwc
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:25:00 AM UTC-7, Karl Townsend wrote:

PinOuts.ru should have the wiring specs.
If you use an RS-232 to USB adapter, some don't use real RS-232 voltage lev els, like -3V to -15V for a logical true and +3V to +15V for a logical fals e, but use 0V for a true, and that doesn't work with some equipment. I'd e xpect adapters based on Cypress chips to be OK, but apparently the first ch oice is an FTDI brand chip, and they have driver software for every operati ng system. I think StarTech brand adapters are still good, but Cables Unli mited was also selling FTDI adapters that worked well.
On 9/20/2014 11:25 AM, Karl Townsend wrote:

You would have to try a straight thru cable or some need a null modem.
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/1EE0DD8AF67922FA86256F720071DECF
This page claims you can run Hyperterminal on Win7 or maybe you nave an old laptop or old computer that has LAN port you can use as to connect the 2?
http://digitizor.com/2009/08/29/install-winxp-hyperterminal-client-on-windows-vista-or-windows-7-free/
I have prob 10 old mobo's w/comm ports squirreled away for this reason.
MikeB
--
Email is valid

The easy way to tell is to measure the voltages on pins 2 and 3, to see which is an output. -jsw

    Depends on whether it is doing handshaking.
    The minimum is (for the DB-25 connectors)     If it is a DE-9 connector instead -- on many newer computers) the pin numbers change, and I don't work with those much.
    Data Ground from pin 7 to pin 7
    Data leads: (assuming a crossover, with both ends the same time of RS232
    2 - 3     3 - 2
    If there is more needed (handshaking) add:
    5 - 6     6 - 5
    and maybe tie pin 20 on each end to one of the two before.
    And to be sure to deal with voltage differences between the two chassis -- safety ground from pin 1 to pin 1.

    No experience with Windows 7 -- sorry. (Nor with much of any other Windows, for that matter.) Way back when, I liked kermit for the transfers between unlike computers.
    For unix machines, I would usually use tip or cu -- but those are unlikely to be found on a Windows box.

    O.K.
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Could I take you up on the low tech route?
I'll email my son's snail mail address
Karl
PS: Its a Yaznac I80 control built in 1990, The Matsuura machine is running, its in GREAT condition.
Karl Townsend wrote:

you will need a null modem cable and a232port on a computer. there are some usb to 232 adapters but not all will work properly because of voltage differences. I have a box of new null modem cables 15 ft if you need one. I ordered three cables and they sent me three bags of three. You will also set your baud rates to match as well as the other parameters, stop bits, data bits, parity and some other stuff so the two units can communicate.
John