CNC communication: RS232 vs. flash drive

Awl --

So, now that Le Fadal is bustid with spindle pro'lengs, I got time to 1. clean up, and 2. consider some mods.

The Fadal tech taking care of NJ, PA, and a bit of NY was surprised when I axed about RS232, his response was, Why go for 10 year old technology, when flash drives work so well, AND, he sez, can DNC!!! At least the one from CalMotion.com does.

Not sure which product is which, but I'll find out when I call.

Supposedly they make a portable version (wireless?? not sure), so that I can use one for both the Fadal and Haas, when it comes in.

Any opinions on the "obsolete-ness" of RS232 vs flash drives? Previous threads on this indicated to me that RS232 was the better way to go, so mebbe y'all can remind me why this is -- esp in light of the tech's claim that these calmotion flash drive units (which replace the 3.5" floppy) dnc as well . This tech sez lots of his customers have the calmotion unit, and luvit luvit. Which, btw, he does not sell, so there would appear to be no bias, vested interest.

Reply to
Existential Angst

Linked to host computer or network you don't have to walk back and forth between machine and computer to up load, down load or DNC programs. You can send, receive and DNC directly from the machine controller. Can also data collect, monitor and manage machines remotely. Easier to track and control changes when there is one controlled program in one place (being backed up regularly) rather than a single program possibly in multiple locations (machine controllers, disks, drives, cards).

Shop Floor Automatons did one large company I worked for, way cool stuff.

Also used Spectrum CNC Technologies in a small company it was fun to work with as well.

I rather use flash drive than RS232 if RS232 is setup where you have to walk back and forth between computer and machine for each program.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr

Linked to host computer or network you don't have to walk back and forth between machine and computer to up load, down load or DNC programs. You can send, receive and DNC directly from the machine controller. Can also data collect, monitor and manage machines remotely. Easier to track and control changes when there is one controlled program in one place (being backed up regularly) rather than a single program possibly in multiple locations (machine controllers, disks, drives, cards).

Shop Floor Automatons did one large company I worked for, way cool stuff.

Also used Spectrum CNC Technologies in a small company it was fun to work with as well.

I rather use flash drive than RS232 if RS232 is setup where you have to walk back and forth between computer and machine for each program. ====================================================

Then I suspect flash would be better for my li'l operation. "Shop Floor"? Shop nook, mebbe.... lol Just two machines, with pendants nearly adjacent -- looks like the Haas pendant will actually be mounted on the fadal!!

Reply to
Existential Angst

Not sure what the cost is for your conversion to flash, I would check both options.

Tom

Reply to
brewertr