Lego Mindstorm Camera Vs. CMU Camera?

Does anyone know the difference in capabilities and features, especially when it comes to object recognition and tracking, between these two cameras?

Thanks.

Reply to
Robert Oschler

The CMUcam has a MCU that permits you to process low res image data and have a machine do something based on the image data. Nothing super complicated but it works. It also lets you view slower speed video on a PC screen as well. The CMU cam can with some extra stuff perform linited object tracking and some limited object recognition. You are mostly limited by how much software you need to write or get written or find already written for you to use or hack.

The LEGO Cam is just a small low res video cam with a composite video cable that you have to plug into a PC and run a program to view the video images. The Lego bots or machines simply serve as a limited range transport for the video camera up to the length of the video cable. It cannot process video data or do things with it. I suppose if you have the programming skills you could write up a swuite of software to do this, but it is all based on the PC you are using not a LEGO bot.

There is also a AVRcam out too. it offers faster video speeds, frame rates and faster image processing.

might find this more to your liking.

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Earl,

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Reply to
Robert Oschler

My Lego Vision Command is a USB 1, not composite. I think it is a Logitech clone. Is there a different one?

Deep.

Reply to
Deep Reset

It probably is USB too, my fault, my son played with his for ten minutes and put it back in the box never to see the light of day again. So I forgot. Sorry

Reply to
Earl Bollinger

Hello,

Can somebody tell me why for instance the LEGO cam could not be like the avrcam or cmu cam provided that there are softwares that enable one to essentially grab image directly from web cam in both Linux and Windows:

Linux

Win32,

Thanks in advance,

Jake.

Reply to
Newbie

The LEGO cam is just a webcam that works on Linux or Windows. It does

*nothing* with the Mindstorms RCX.

The CMUCam and the AVRCam are designed such that microcontrollers can use them.

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman