mail order electronics, ics, tools, etc.

A friend of mine has gotten me interested in robotics. I've ordered a book on BEAM robots. Are there any good places to mail order tools and electronics parts and supplies from? (And a heads up on any places to avoid as well.)

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Rusty Wright

Jameco for the simple stuff (i think near SFO if you wanna drive there from berserkely), Digikey is good too with most everything electrical/electronic.

I have received, I am almost ashamed to admit, numerous free IC samples from various vendors. In particular, Dallas/Maxim is very responsive, as is Microchip - assuming they make the specific type of ICs you are interested in. The problem for a retro-geek like me is that I use DIP packages for prototyping and many of the latest and greatest ICs aren't available in this package. Anyway, most companies will ask you to register with them and for that price you can get samples. Nothing to lose.

Happy tinkering, BillT

Reply to
Bill Turnip

mouser.com is the other company with a lot of good products. Very extensive stocks, like digikey. All 3 companies are great for prototyping supplies.

- dan michaels

=========================

Reply to
dan michaels

I had ordered by from them and had good service. It is all Beam related.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Hartshorn

They are fairly expensive, but they have a lot of parts and kits for BEAM robotics. They are also very helpful and responsive. If you are going to be doing a lot of BEAM stuff, I'd suggest you get to know them!

Mark

Reply to
Mark

I've been very happy with the several orders I have gotten from them. They also have fixed rate shipping - great when you are stocking up. BTW, look at the GM geared motors - great for any small bots.

Reply to
Catman