MS Mouse Question

Has anyone ever used the internals from a mouse to count or measure distance? How easy was it? What signals do I look for? Which parts can I do without, and which parts must I keep? I am just starting and guidance would be appreciated. Jack

Reply to
Jack

Hi Jack.

Based on a suggestion from Gordon McComb in this very newsgroup, I used a mouse to encode movement of my robot's drive motors. I had to remote mount the LED/phototransistor pairs (remove from the mouse board and install on a custom PCB), and modify the encoder wheels to attach to the motors.

Then I had to write microcontroller software to implement the PS/2 mouse communication protocol. The PS/2 hardware interface has +5V, GND, DATA, and CLOCK signals. This is all documented on the web (use your favorite search engine).

I read a lot about people using the encoder wheels and optoelectronics from mice, but I thought Gordon's suggestion of using the whole thing was rather elegant. The microcontroller in the mouse tracks movement of the encoders and stuffs the information in to a nice little three byte packet.

It works OK. How easy was it? Well, let us just say that it would have been easier to spend $100+ each on OTS quadrature encoders. But where is the adventure in that?

Jeff.

Reply to
Jeff Shirley

check out my URL at

instruction for such an encoder hardware and software example look under "Sensors"

eyal

Reply to
EA

Reply to