Plans for robotic arm

I'm new to robotics hobby, I'd like to try and build a robotic arm
that ideally I'd control using C programming language, arm connected
to my pc via serial (or maybe) USB cable.
But I'm finding it difficult to discover plans or instructions for
such a thing. I don't want to buy a ready-manufactured arm, I want to
construct it myself so I can learn while doing it. Can anyone point
me in the right direction to find such plans (or even instructions!!)?
Reply to
dapunka
"dapunka" wrote
A Mini SSC-II serial servo controller with USB/Serial converter cable and hobby servo motors would be pretty simple to start with.
I've never used C on a PC platform, but I have a servo control software project for a Mini SSC-II with VB.
It's pretty simple stuff, but a lot of fun.
Regards,
-Bruce
Reply to
Bruce
has several arm designs you could reference for ideas, and they sell servo mount brackets you might find useful.
Regards,
-Bruce
Reply to
Bruce
Hmm... Don't know of any good patterns on the net.
Here's something to work with:

For quick prototyping, I've found 1/4" foam board (sold at the US office supply for posters/presentations/science fair displays), dowels (for pivots), and hot glue to be a good combination. Don't worry about actuation or better materials until you have a prototype that moves properly. Prototype with cheap, easily shaped materials until you establish a design worthy of a lengthy fabrication.
- Daniel
Reply to
D Herring
Thanks for the advice and links Bruce!