pointer to replacement forum ...

As the flow of useful traffic in this newsgroup seems to have been reduced to a trickle, can someone point to the web based forums which are active
in this area? I believe during the SPORGE attack, Gordon provided a home for the group, but I apparently did not save the link and frankly, I miss the traffic ... and the noise ...
Cheers, Rob Sciuk
Add pictures here
✖
Although there is no shortage of robotics forums on the Net - pretty much every manufacturer and a development platform of any significance has one - you may take a look at the (mostly) spam-free gateway to THIS very group @ roboticscommunity.com Hope you can use it. Cheers, DA
------------------------------------- snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.roboticscommunity.com/
Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.robotics.misc - 12634 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.roboticscommunity.com/ Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - comp.robotics.misc - 12634 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, DA wrote:

I would have replied via the forum interface, but regs require a 15 day lockdown (no posts) after registration ... spam is once again diminishing the web experience for those who don't abuse it (sigh).
Thanks DA for your reply.
Cheers, Rob.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 6, 3:32 pm, snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

Some of us who used to post here wound up in other forums, such as Seattle Robotics Society's and PARTs. After both places suggesting I take my advanced discussions elsewhere, so they'd have less message traffic, I created a Yahoo group, AdvancedRobotics.
"Any discussion of robotics topics welcome. A place to direct detailed discussions too long or indepth for other lists. For serious yet civil thinkers who want to see robotics advance."
While we're still growing, we have some pretty lively discussions.
Randy M. Dumse
Add pictures here
✖
This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.
--0-379849926-1250093327=:14398 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8BIT
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009, RMDumse wrote:

Thanks Randy.
I'm browsing this forum now ... A pity that this group is in decline, however ... nothing is easier than a usenet newsgroup, in my opinion, and but for the spammers ... all would be good.
Cheers, Rob Sciuk. --0-379849926-1250093327=:14398--
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:08:44 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

I'm perusing posts, I'll definitely look into it more.

I recall Gordon's board during the splorge, I registered and lurked a little bit. He was really clear that it was only a temporary thing for while the splorge lasted, and sure enough he finally took it down.
The spam doesn't look "too bad" to me in terms of the absolute number of posts (dismissing for the moment the fact that any and all spam is bad), but spam makes up about half the posts because of the fact that legitimate posts are so dissapointingly few. I agree, Usenet is still a (technically) very viable medium for forums, but many newsgroups have so little traffic thesedays.

Add pictures here
✖
Rob:
Here is the list of open RSS feeds I have found for robotics groups so far:
http://robotguy.net/blog/feed http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/ORE_bits/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/SeattleRobotics/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/sfrsa/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/SDRS-List/rss http://www.robots-dreams.com/index.rdf http://www.societyofrobots.com/rss_SoR.xml http://groups.google.com/group/hbrobotics/feed/rss_v2_0_msgs.xml?numP http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/tcrobots/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/vancouverrobotics/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/beginnersrobots/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/sharcbots/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/RSSC-list/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/sorcgroup/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/robot_sig/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/pittrobotsociety/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/IEEE_RAS_SCV_Chapter/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/botbuilders/rss http://groups.google.com/group/calpolyrobotics/feed/rss_v2_0_topics.xml?numP http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/RogueBots/rss http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/AdvancedRobotics/rss
There a number of semi-active robotics forums that have closed archives and no active RSS feed. I further subscribe to:
Twin Cities Robotics Group (Minniapolis/St. Paul) <http://www.tcrobots.org
Front Range Robotics (Northern Denver area) <http://frontrangerobotics.org/
I should mention:
Dallas Personal Robotics Group (Dallas) <http://www.dprg.org>
although I am not signed up for that one.
It might be constructive for people to list suggestions here.
-Wayne
snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, waynegramlich wrote:

Ahhh ... thanks, Wayne ... a keeper, I'll tuck this away in my robotics folder ...

Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

[snippage]
Rob:
You are welcome!
-Wayne
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

My temporary forum was to get people through the splog attack of a year or so back. After the splog died down I removed the forum, and asked folks to come back here.
Every now and then I come back here, shake my head, and wonder where everyone has gone. Is it the economy? Lack of interest in robotics? Body odor? What??
Anyway, as Randy and some of the others have said, there are plenty of product and application specific forums that offer some nice communities. For example, if you're into the Arduino, there's the "official" forum at
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
and others elsewhere. (I just lurk on these, having no time for anything fun these days.)
-- Gordon
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 17 Aug 2009, Gordon McComb wrote:

Gordon,
I'm enjoying your regular submissions to Servo. Frankly, it is your book, and basic philosophy about parts sourcing which I found so appealing in the robotics hobby ... that and the idea of seeing software take flight in the real world, freed from the bonds of database and web sites ... 8-).
Hopefully you won't turn your love for the sport of robotics into work ... at least to the point where it ceases to be fun ...
Cheers, Rob.
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@ControlQ.com wrote:

Not doing much of anything robots related these days. I'm now writing applications software, related to my "old" profession of video -- current project is a program that creates Flash video players on the fly. I enjoy the challenge of it all, but there's always one more thing to do, and one more thing after that, and one more thing...
Anyway, it keeps me off the street and out of trouble.
-- Gordon
Add pictures here
✖