Postdoc position in Swarmanoid project - Brussels

PostDoc position available IRIDIA Institut de Recherches Interdisciplinaires et de Développements en Intelligence Artificielle Université Libre de Bruxelles Brussels, Belgium

Swarmanoid project: Postdoctoral research position available

Start date: October 1st, 2006, or later. Position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.

The Swarmanoid project is a Future and Emerging Technologies (FET-OPEN) project funded by the European Commission. The main scientific objective of this research project is the design, implementation and control of a novel distributed robotic system. The system will be made up of heterogeneous, dynamically connected, small autonomous robots. Collectively, these robots will form what we call a swarmanoid. The swarmanoid that we intend to build will be comprised of numerous (about

60) autonomous robots of three types: eye-bots, handbots, and foot-bots.

The Swarmanoid project is the successor project to the SWARM-BOTS project, and will build on the results obtained during the SWARM-BOTS project. Information on the SWARM-BOTS project can be found at the following address:

IRIDIA, the Artificial Intelligence laboratory of the Université Libre de Bruxelles and co-ordinator of the Swarmanoid project, has a vacancy for a postdoctoral research position. The successful applicant can start any time from October 1st 2006 onwards. The vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate is found. There is, therefore, no submission deadline.

The area of competence and/or interest of the person we are looking for should be in at least one of the following disciplines: Computational Intelligence, Autonomous Robotics, Self-organizing Systems. He or she should be an experienced researcher with publications in the above-mentioned fields. The working language of the laboratory is English, though French, German and Italian are spoken by most of its members. The right person will have a commitment to research and publication, and possess good communication and presentation skills (in English). He or she will be available for traveling between European labs participating in the research project. The ability to work as part of an international team producing pre-defined deliverables to fixed deadlines is essential.

The project is coordinated by Professor Marco Dorigo, director of the IRIDIA lab. Other participants include Prof. Mondada and Prof. Floreano (both at EPFL, Lausanne), Prof. Gambardella (IDSIA, Universit'a della Svizzera Italiana, Lugano), and Prof. Nolfi (CNR, Rome, Italy).

IRIDIA is dedicated to equal opportunities. Indeed, we explicitly encourage female researchers to apply for this position. We guarantee that the selection process will be based solely on scientific merit.

If you wish to apply, please send an email containing (preferably as a PDF attachment) your CV and a research interests statement to:

Dr. Elio Tuci, Ph.D. Email: snipped-for-privacy@iridia.ulb.ac.be

The full call for positions is available at:

Elio Tuci