R/C servos that provide positional feedback to controller ?

Are there off-the-shelf hobby type servos on the market that can give feedback regarding their position? I'm thinking along the lines of a servo based arm that can be manually positioned, then have that position recorded so it can be played back later. I know I could hook up some extra wires to the pot and read the values that way, but I was looking for something ready-made.

Just a thought ...

And thanks ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

regarding their position?

Yes. I understand many of the new digital servos have read-back methods. The one I remember used a very short pulse to tell the servo to give a pulse back, the length of which corresponded to the current position.

Okay, it was the HSR8498 I looked at. See

, the section on "Position Feedback", and you can read exactly about what I mean.

This feature was intended (best I gather) for a "learn" positioning, because the servo doesn't drive while this short pulse is active. That let's you move the servo to a position, and have the system read the desired position.

While this would still be considered a hobbiest servo, these new digital servos aren't exactly cheap.

HTH's

Reply to
RMDumse

you may also want to see what the signal look like from the center pin of the potentiometer it uses for feedback, it may be a ramp of some sort as part of their timing system, but it also just might be a variable voltage.

dan

pogo wrote:

regarding their position? I'm thinking

have that position recorded so it can be

the values that way, but I was looking

Reply to
rue_mohr