Request for guidance on mapping data - trig question

I'd like to generate a colored 'heat map' of readings from a hand-held sensor being moved around a room by a person.
I envisioned something like having two "measuring spools" (or ranging
instruments), separated by a known distance, measuring the distance to the sensor.
If one knows the length all three sides of a triangle, how does one get the x,y coordinates of the sensor?
Any recommendations on: - Other cost-effective or easy (out of the box) methods for achieving this result. - Software for transforming a signal and x,y coordinates into a color image.
Thanks,
Rolfe

The location is the intersection of two circles drawn centered at each beacon. There are actually two possible answers, but if you assume your beacons are along a wall, one of the locations will be out of bounds and can be discarded.
Google for; robot sonar beacon navigation
Joe Dunfee
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

String pull encoders???

It is at the intersection of the two circles of radius "measured distance" centred at the measuring device.
r1^2=x1^2+y1^2 r2^2=x2^2+y2^2
x1=x2, y1=y2 Anyway...I'll get back to that
Any recommendations on:

easy? nope
- Software for transforming a signal and x,y coordinates into a color

Matlab a VB script Excel
look up RGB format - I think it is fairly easy to make an image from data arranged in the right fashion.
Fulliautomatix wrote:

http://www.sonoma.edu/users/w/wilsonst/Papers/Geometry/circles/default.html
Theorem 3.13, bottom of page,
d is the distance between the centres...you already know that - the distance between the measuring devices
r1 & r2 are the measured distances from measuring devices to thermometer
x1 & y1, x2 & y2 are the coordinates of the measuring devices
x & y are the co-ordinates of the thermometer