Robotic architecture fundamentals

I am trying to find information on Robotic architecture, so far I have come
across various "products" and "projects" but I haven't been able to find
information that deals with the theory of robotic architecture, in a sense
that explains in an implementation independent manner the various components
and definitions relating to Robotic architecutre { I am still confused after
reading some articles as to what it means by degree of freedom and stuff like
that }.
Kindly provide some valid pointers.
--
Imanpreet Singh Arora
whoisiman AT hotmail DOT com

come
components
after
like

[Zagan] I think DOF refers to degrees of freedom.
// Jim
--
|| Free Science Fiction
|| "The Keepers of Forever"
Zagan wrote:

Robin is British, so the humor bone is in a different place than the rest of us. I think the idea presented is that the concept of degree of freedom is somewhat relative. Example: Some people think each digit in the fingers of a hand is a separate DOF. We're talking, what, a base 20 DOF. For two hands, that's 40 DOF, and that's just for the fingers. Others don't count DOF in the same way, espcially when the articulation is not modelled after human appendages (e.g. flexible chain instead of rigid digits).
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

Hi Gordon
Absolutely correct, but I am improving. Only a week ago I managed to watch an entire film starring the zany madcap "comedian" Jim Carey, and didn't vomit once.
best regards
Robin G Hewitt
Robin G Hewitt wrote:

You get Jim Carrey, we get Rowan Atkinson. Fair is fair!
(Seriously, I like 'em both. Atkinson is a riot, but then, we haven't been as exposed to him as much as you folks in the UK. Lot of people here are pretty tired of Jim Carrey.)
Back on topic, between Carrey and Atkinson there must be, what, 14 DOF.
-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza
Sounds like you're looking for a first-year (university level) mechatronics/robotics textbook. There are plenty of those. You can browse Amazon to see what they have, but most any decent public library will have one or two. And of course, a university library will have several to choose from. Even if you're not a student you can read the book there, and many school libraries have a "friends of the library" program where local residents can check out books.
Bear in mind that when you say "robotics" it's a huge field, spanning hobby to large-scale factory automation. No single book will answer it all.