Robotic architecture fundamentals

I am trying to find information on Robotic architecture, so far I have come

across various "products" and "projects" but I haven't been able to find

information that deals with the theory of robotic architecture, in a sense

that explains in an implementation independent manner the various components

and definitions relating to Robotic architecutre { I am still confused after

reading some articles as to what it means by degree of freedom and stuff like

that }.

Kindly provide some valid pointers.

Reply to
Minti

Hi

I'm not sure what a DOF is, but it doesn't stop me designing them.

Consider a shoulder joint, the arm moves forwards/back, up/down and twist. 3 DOF's

Unfortunately it hits the chest when you move it forward and up, so you add a shoulder blade to move the whole shebang forwards and back a few inches to get extra clearance.

1: You add a new motor for this function. That is a degree of freedom.

2: You link it so that the shoulder blade moves as the arm comes round. Probably not a DOF.

3: You add a latch so that it may or may not move with the arm. What the hell is that?

4: A motor causes the hand to open, go beyond that and it causes the wrist to bend, reverse it past the hand closed stage and it turns the forearm, then maybe onto something else. How many DOF's is that, one or three, four?

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

Sounds like you're looking for a first-year (university level) mechatronics/robotics textbook. There are plenty of those. You can browse Amazon to see what they have, but most any decent public library will have one or two. And of course, a university library will have several to choose from. Even if you're not a student you can read the book there, and many school libraries have a "friends of the library" program where local residents can check out books.

Bear in mind that when you say "robotics" it's a huge field, spanning hobby to large-scale factory automation. No single book will answer it all.

-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

Reply to
Gordon McComb

[Zagan] I think DOF refers to degrees of freedom.

// Jim

Reply to
Zagan

Robin is British, so the humor bone is in a different place than the rest of us. I think the idea presented is that the concept of degree of freedom is somewhat relative. Example: Some people think each digit in the fingers of a hand is a separate DOF. We're talking, what, a base 20 DOF. For two hands, that's 40 DOF, and that's just for the fingers. Others don't count DOF in the same way, espcially when the articulation is not modelled after human appendages (e.g. flexible chain instead of rigid digits).

-- Gordon Author: Constructing Robot Bases (Forthcoming) Robot Builder's Sourcebook, Robot Builder's Bonanza

Reply to
Gordon McComb

Hi Gordon

Absolutely correct, but I am improving. Only a week ago I managed to watch an entire film starring the zany madcap "comedian" Jim Carey, and didn't vomit once.

best regards

Robin G Hewitt

Reply to
Robin G Hewitt

You get Jim Carrey, we get Rowan Atkinson. Fair is fair!

(Seriously, I like 'em both. Atkinson is a riot, but then, we haven't been as exposed to him as much as you folks in the UK. Lot of people here are pretty tired of Jim Carrey.)

Back on topic, between Carrey and Atkinson there must be, what, 14 DOF.