Scientific American, Jan 2007

The January '07 cover story is "The Dawn of the Age of Robots" written by Bill Gates. I cannot find a reference to it on the net. The mag should be on the shelves soon. Cover features a cool robot sculpture by Mark Ho.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Gomez

Great, I've been waiting for this since reading about it in Robotics Age magazine. :-)

I noticed the website

still has the December issue cover. So how do YOU know about this issue? Do you operate SA's printing press?

Here's an article I never expected to see in SA or on its website: "Had a car crash? It's all in the stars, study says"

A couple pertinent paragraphs:

" According to a study by InsuranceHotline.com, a Web site that quotes drivers on insurance rates, astrological signs are a significant factor in predicting car accidents.

The study, which looked at 100,000 North American drivers' records from the past six years, puts Libras (born September 23-October 22) followed by Aquarians (January 20-February 18) as the worst offenders for tickets and accidents"

The article gives no numbers other than the total number of driver records, so it's unknown whether the worst sign's accint records are

0.1 percent greater than the best, or 10 percent greater, or what.

SA certainly went downhill in recent decades, perhaps picking up some editorial clues from Omni, but this looks like a new low. It's not even so bad that they took a story from Reuters (hey, it's a cheap way of padding content), but I wonder if a real editor actually read the story and approved putting it on the website. Probably Reuters had it tagged "science" and that's why it was put up on SA.

Woops,

Reply to
Ben Bradley

"Kevin Gomez" wrote in news:ttadnSN5lf0JNB3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Likely a tie in to the recently released Microsoft Robotics Studio:

There seems to be less and less news in the mainstream media...just advertising that looks like news:-(

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

Article about the article in the Economist.

-- Randy M. Dumse

Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear.

Reply to
RMDumse

I just now see that story on Slashdot:

Microsoft Formally Releases Robotics Software

that looks like news:-(

... along with an article from yesterday:

FTC To Investigate 'Viral Marketing' Practices

Ben Bradley

"RMDumse" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

As a suspected...it's a soft sell for Microsoft's Robotics Studio. Here is an excerpt from the above mentioned article:

These technologies are a key part of Microsoft Robotics Studio...

Shame on Scientific American...maybe this article has "paid advertisement" on the top of each page (yeah right).

Reply to
Fuzzy Logic

Following from the slashdot article, here's the Microsoft webpage on their robotics software:

And from there, here's a pic of the cover and the first two paragraphs of the article:

shortcut:

Ben Bradley

"> So how do YOU know about this issue? Do you operate SA's printing

I subscribe. (rant noted nevertheless).

Reply to
Kevin Gomez