Scientific American, Jan 2007

The January '07 cover story is "The Dawn of the Age of Robots" written by Bill Gates. I cannot find a reference to it on the net. The mag should be
on the shelves soon. Cover features a cool robot sculpture by Mark Ho.
http://www.zoho.nl/
Kevin
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:32:03 -0500, "Kevin Gomez"

Great, I've been waiting for this since reading about it in Robotics Age magazine. :-)

I noticed the website http://sciam.com still has the December issue cover. So how do YOU know about this issue? Do you operate SA's printing press?
Here's an article I never expected to see in SA or on its website: "Had a car crash? It's all in the stars, study says" http://sciam.com/article.cfm?chanID=sa003&articleID 5A1B4276B1524763D2ACC19DC8C475
A couple pertinent paragraphs:
" According to a study by InsuranceHotline.com, a Web site that quotes drivers on insurance rates, astrological signs are a significant factor in predicting car accidents.
The study, which looked at 100,000 North American drivers' records from the past six years, puts Libras (born September 23-October 22) followed by Aquarians (January 20-February 18) as the worst offenders for tickets and accidents"
The article gives no numbers other than the total number of driver records, so it's unknown whether the worst sign's accint records are 0.1 percent greater than the best, or 10 percent greater, or what.
SA certainly went downhill in recent decades, perhaps picking up some editorial clues from Omni, but this looks like a new low. It's not even so bad that they took a story from Reuters (hey, it's a cheap way of padding content), but I wonder if a real editor actually read the story and approved putting it on the website. Probably Reuters had it tagged "science" and that's why it was put up on SA.
Woops, </off-topic, non-robotics rant>

"> So how do YOU know about this issue? Do you operate SA's printing

I subscribe. (rant noted nevertheless).

Likely a tie in to the recently released Microsoft Robotics Studio:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/robotics /
There seems to be less and less news in the mainstream media...just advertising that looks like news:-(

Article about the article in the Economist.
http://economistsview.typepad.com/economistsview/2006/12/the_age_of_the_.html
-- Randy M. Dumse www.newmicros.com Caution: Objects in mirror are more confused than they appear.
wrote in

As a suspected...it's a soft sell for Microsoft's Robotics Studio. Here is an excerpt from the above mentioned article:
These technologies are a key part of Microsoft Robotics Studio...
Shame on Scientific American...maybe this article has "paid advertisement" on the top of each page (yeah right).
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:51:03 GMT, Fuzzy Logic

I just now see that story on Slashdot:
Microsoft Formally Releases Robotics Software http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid /12/14/1749220

... along with an article from yesterday:
FTC To Investigate 'Viral Marketing' Practices http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid /12/13/205250
On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 20:32:03 -0500, "Kevin Gomez"

Following from the slashdot article, here's the Microsoft webpage on their robotics software:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/robotics /
And from there, here's a pic of the cover and the first two paragraphs of the article:
http://www.sciamdigital.com/index.cfm?fa=Products.ViewIssuePreview&ARTICLEID_CHARc449950-2B35-221B-6B873224A4114DEF or shortcut: http://tinyurl.com/ybnryp