SICK LMS200 2D Laser scanner

Hello,

From an old project I got : - 2 SICK LMS200 Laser - an applicom PC4000 I/O ISA Card - a WINBOND W86C453P I/O (old card !!)

I would like to integer them into a robotic project for fun (mainly for teenagers), and under Linux. I think it could be an easy and already high tech project and very exciting. Does anyone have any idea for a robotic project ? Does anyone have any technical and software data to help me ? I only have these devices without any document or developpment libraries ....

Thanks. Gill

Reply to
Gill

If you glued them all together they would make a nice frisbee.

Reply to
Alan Paton

The SICK laser scanner is a damn nice piece of equipment. The trouble is, for most hobby robots, they're big, they take a lot of power, and you really need a fast computer to effectively process all the data.

That said, they are pretty much the weapon of choice for indoor SLAM (simultaneous localization and mapping) algorithms. Unfortunately, that is not really something that you'd want to do as a "fun" project for teenagers.

If you're interested in getting rid of one, let me know :-)

-chris.

Gill wrote:

Reply to
Edward C. Kern

Yeah, I'm trying to build my own laser range-finder and it's not easy aligning those darn lenses so let me know if you want to sell your SICK scanner as I'm doing some SLAM research myself.

Thanks,

Edward C. Kern wrote:

Reply to
Stephane Gauthier

Edward C. Kern a écrit :

yes sure, but perhaps it could become an add-in for a robot project as a global positioning for robots in motion ??!!, or a cinemometer ...

most of the projects I found are based on SLAM application or enhanced movement treatment... perhaps finally I will follow this way for a personal interest ...

Unfortunately, that is

it could be ... but not as the main part because it's too complex .... you're right. Do you have hardware/technical or software data about the LMS200 ?? Have you ever used or developped using this type of device ?

It's not really the purpose actually, and it's a really expensive part. I'don't think many people are really ready to get one ...

Gill

Reply to
Gill

Stephane Gauthier a écrit :

perhaps it will become a reality ... but first I would like to be sure I can't use them for a new project. Have you ever used this type of device ? I need some software and connectic resources ....

Gill

Reply to
Gill

Cool gift.

SICK LASER LMS200: home:

the pdf while you're hanging out- it has the pin-outs. System communication:
's a program in there to verify operation- simple report. It uses winslowz .. may be necessary to confirm opstat.

I hear that the pc4000 can be a PIA. (that doesn't stand for parallel interface adapter :). I suspect winslowz has more to do with it than the card itself. Just guessing- haven't used it. This was probably used to connect the SICK and some other toys to a PC. Probably worthless otherwise; unless you use one of its intended protocol handlers and bus. Overview:

manufacturer:
on your java. Goto applications. Pick the os that tickles.

Possible jumper layout for W86C453P:

this chip has been used extensively on isa/vlb i/o for many generic boards by numerous board manufacturers. Given that; you might just want to plug it in and see where the ports are assigned. Then test with a loop back. The two com's would be good for the SICK. Linux shouldn't have any troubles with this - fairly generic stuff.

Anywho(sic), throw in a robot arm, a PC, and all your free time >:) and should make an interesting fun project. Depends on your definition of fun. I've seen the sick used on rovers, but if you're thinking of slapping it on a boe-bot - he hee - good luck. Some projects on the web: Java project:

Hope some of it helps. Best wishes.

Reply to
doug

Reply to