small motors or linear actuators

What do you mean? Using inverse kinematics takes care of any such problem, unless I'm not understanding what you're saying.
-Mike
> [...] >

Hi Mike,
It is possible even more decrease theta[i] calculation time (probably in a few times) using polynomial approximation of a trigonometric functions instead of call functions from math library; errors may be about 1 degree by using approximation (polynomial regression for really used angle range, not Taylor series) of 4..5 degree (requires 4-5 multiplying and 5-6 adding only by using Gorner's scheme).
Nick

I originally planned on optimizing the inverse kinematic equations - but the floating point emulation is plenty fast enough for me. I mean like I said, it takes about an eighth of a ms to calculate out all three angles. Being that I'm running the servos at 80Hz, that leaves me with over 12 milliseconds to do anything else that I need to do.
-Mike

Hi Dan - Like I said in my OP - I am only interested in finding a better solution. Linear actuator or motor - I don't care.
The servos you're using are much, much too large. Note that the HS-81MG is a MICRO servo. Price is also not a major concern here - I have recently gotten funding for my work. I want to move away from servos though - there is just not enough control when using a servo.
-Mike
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing , manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in sm art kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-tran smission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunic ation and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different s izes. In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partne rs around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.
Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd URL: http://www.zwgearbox.com/ Contact: Anny Liu Tel?+86-755-27322652 Fax?+86-755-27323949 E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@zwgearbox.com Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao?an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China