source for DXF files or G-Codes ?

I am a total newb to CNC and I am wondering if there exists a repository of simple shapes in DXF file format or G-Codes for such things as sprockets, rack and pinion, etc ? The type thing I am looking for are relatively small parts that can be machined out of flat metal plates 1/4" thick, etc.

Thanks ! JCD

Reply to
pogo

Sorry, I don't know of such a repository. But, can refer you to a place where a lot of this type of stuff is discussed...

Joe Dunfee

Reply to
cadcoke4

Cool. As usual, I discovered CNCZone.com soon after I posted my question ... but perhaps this will help others with similar interests!

Regardless - it is much appreciated! JCDeen

Reply to
pogo

Hi JCD, Getting started to create G code was the biggest hurdle I had with my CNC.

If you have access to a recent version of Visio you can draw the parts in that then export as DXF.

What I have found that I ended up using is a free 2D application from Siemens called Solid Edge 2D.

I do my drawings in that then use CamBam (free beta) to create the G code.

Robin

simple shapes in DXF file format or G-Codes for such

relatively small parts that can be machined out of

Reply to
robin.hartley

I've seen both of these during my web surfing to find suitable software, so it is nice to see what people actually use! Great info - thanks! JCDeen

simple shapes in DXF file format or G-Codes for such

are relatively small parts that can be machined out

Reply to
pogo

I found this great little program for creating sprocket DXF and G-codes !

Also found this nice small footrpint DXF viewer
enjoy! JCD (pogo)