Tools and stuff needed - Switzerland

Beagle2, where have you been? we were looking for you... I thought you was kidnapped by Martians.

Beagle ph> Hello all,

Reply to
Moshe Sayag

Hello all,

I am very new to this. The questions bugging me are these:

What equipment does one need for making an automated machine (robot or rover)? What materials? What electronics? What sites (trying to avoid crap because that is all Im getting)? What books?

Also if you happen to know this: where can things like this be found in French part of Switzerland?

Reply to
Beagle2

I'm new also, but maybe I can offer a little bit of help.

Assuming you don't know electronics, that's probably the first thing you should learn. Pick up a good beginner's electronics book (I don't know which are good, but there are some online here:

Also get a multimeter (you might as well start off with a decent one if you're going to be sticking with this hobby, others could probably help you better figure out which are good for your needs) and a beginner's kit or some basic components to get started (especially a solderless breadboard).

Only once you've gotten some electronics experience should you begin thinking about other things.

Actually, there are other ways to go about it. For instance you could pick up a Lego Mindstorms kit, and that way you could avoid all the electronics and get started on some of the programming and design. But I recommend getting started with electronics.

Tim Ford

Reply to
Tim Ford

The Beagle2 is inquiring about how to build ITS OWN ROBOTS! It probably wants to create an army of rovers to colonize Mars, and eventually Earth.

Reply to
Tim Ford

The Beagle2 is inquiring about how to build ITS OWN ROBOTS! It probably wants to create an army of rovers to colonize Mars, and eventually Earth.

Reply to
Tim Ford

The Beagle2 is inquiring about how to build ITS OWN ROBOTS! It probably wants to create an army of rovers to colonize Mars, and eventually Earth.

P.S.: Does any> Beagle2, where have you been? we were looking for you...

Reply to
Tim Ford

I'm using Mozilla/Thunderbird. It has some refresh problems sometimes.

In any case, it is much better than the popular M$'s alternative :)

Little off-t> The Beagle2 is inquiring about how to build ITS OWN ROBOTS! It probably

Reply to
Moshe Sayag

Hehe,

I'll phone home after the 22nd you'll see ;).

I need to get into mode 2 because the mode 1 wasnt uploaded properly.

(all the best to the Beagle team...)

Reply to
Beagle2

Tim and Chris,

Thanks. What printed books would you recommend?

beagle..

Reply to
Beagle2

Robot Builder's Bonanza by that guy who sometimes posts on this group. ;-)oooooooo

Also check out Amazon.com and robotbooks.com

DOC

Any sufficiently complicated machine can be called a robot!

Reply to
DOC

If you are from Switzerland, you maybe speak german? Try this for electronic-Equipment:

Greets Tom from Cologne (Germany)

Reply to
Tom