Vantec servo alternatives?

    --I see where Vantec is now selling a servo that puts out 27ft-lb of torque, but it costs an arm and a leg. Has anyone got links
to an equivalent device that's a little cheaper? Ideal would be plans for a homebrew widget..     --TIA,
--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Bummed to be living in the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Golden Age of Bullshit...
steamer wrote:

steamer wrote:

These guys http://www.roboteq.com sell a few different motor controllers that show the use of a position feedback pot to run a closed loop position servo. Their smallest controller handles up to 30 Amps at 24 volts and they go up to 140A at 24V I think. Put a good quality pot on the output shaft of a windshield wiper motor and drive it with one of these controllers and you should be able to get serious torque. The 30 Amp bare board version is $275 and they go up to the $500 neigborhood.
I don't have any connection with them, but their products look useful.
Good Luck,
Bob
    --Aha! Just what I'm looking for; thanks!