Vantec servo alternatives?

It's been around for a while, though I've never used one. Price is a

*little* cheaper through one of the other US importers:

but you're still looking at $500 or so, plus shipping.

Consider that the 27 lb/lb rating is maximum starting torque, and not running or holding torque. The CK Design page has a bit more indepth specs...845 oz/in intermittent duty holding torque.

-- Gord>

Reply to
Gordon McComb

--I see where Vantec is now selling a servo that puts out

27ft-lb of torque, but it costs an arm and a leg. Has anyone got links to an equivalent device that's a little cheaper? Ideal would be plans for a homebrew widget.. --TIA,
Reply to
steamer

These guys

sell a few different motor controllers that show the use of a position feedback pot to run a closed loop position servo. Their smallest controller handles up to 30 Amps at 24 volts and they go up to 140A at 24V I think. Put a good quality pot on the output shaft of a windshield wiper motor and drive it with one of these controllers and you should be able to get serious torque. The 30 Amp bare board version is $275 and they go up to the $500 neigborhood.

I don't have any connection with them, but their products look useful.

Good Luck,

Bob

Reply to
MetalHead

--Aha! Just what I'm looking for; thanks!

Reply to
steamer