Small Gear Puller?

I just acquired a Servo small drill press. These are really nice variable speed precision drills, with a dila indicator depth readout.

Unfortunately, mine was a bit abused, and I'm in the process of fixing it up. The downfeed lever screws into a hub that is on the end of the pinion shaft. In theory, the hub is only held in place by the pressure of the lever being used as an oversized setscrew. Mine is stuck on firmly, and the handle has been used loose, which has wallowed out the threads in the hub. I'm ordering a new hub, but I need to get the old one off. My biggest fear is that some nitwit epoxied in on, although I can't see anything suspicious.

I am going to try some Kroil, but I suspect I may have to apply some force to get the old hub off. The easiest way to avoid putting any force on any of the internal gears or bearings is to cut/grind a couple grooves in the sides of the hub, and use a small 2-arm gearpuller to pop it off.

The hub is about an inch in diameter, and the end of the shaft is about a quarter of an inch. Most "small" gear puller all seem to be a bit too big. There also seem to be a lot of small specialized pullers for "armature bearings", and "Pittman Arms", but many don't really indicate how big they are. A lot of pullers are rated by tonage, and I'd guess

1/2 ton would be plenty, but they don't seme to come that small.

For example, this one looks lovely:

but it doesn't say how close the jaws will close, and it costs a fortune.

Anyone got a likely device they can recommend? I can always build something, but I have enough projects piled up as it is.

Thanks!

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White

I've got a tiny one, 1/4" screw extension, 4" long arms. Says Cal-Van USA. I don't remember where I got it, probably an auto parts store. They're out there. A problem might be clearance behind the hub. Mine needs at least 1/4", although you could reduce that with some judicious grinding on the arms. The other problem is finding a suitable thrust bearing. The screw end is a truncated cone.

Good luck.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

You might try a battery terminal puller.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

you might drill a couple of holes in the hub at 180 deg, put in screws, or a pin and use that for attaching a metal U, and then just pull on the U in any of the normal ways

Reply to
Bill Noble

Lots of pullers out there, you just have to look in unexpected areas. There are small ones made for battery terminals, corroded faucet handles and Pittman arm and drag link pullers. There are also lever type tie-rod end poppers. If you need smaller, there are clock wheel pullers. Just depends on how much you want to spend and the time you want to spend looking for the perfect item. As far as possible epoxy and/or Loctite involvement, heat is the solution for that.

Stan

Reply to
stans4

Try Auto Zone if there is one near you. They have a loan a tool program for free tool rental. They also assume the risk of tool breakage. You just got to put up a deposit and return it within 90 days for a full refund.

Roger Shoaf

Reply to
RS at work