What sort of joystick/controller to use to remotely control/pilot walking robot?

Hi - I am trying to decide what sort of controller I want to use to remotely pilot my 6 legged robot.
Right now I'm using an XBox 360 controller. I like some things about
it - but the centering on it is absolutely awful. So I'm thinking about switching over to something like a 3 axis joystick, probably the Saitek Cyborg wireless.
Also - I can't decide about which control should do what. I figure the primary control (X/Y) on the joystick should control X/Y on the robot's movement. But what about rotating in place? That's what I'm thinking I'll use the third axis on the Saitek for. But - what if I want to walk, say, in a circle? How would I do that? I thought about trying to mix the third axis of the joystick with the X and Y axes, so that the harder you twist the joystick the tighter of a circle it would walk in, until at the max twist the robot would be turning in place. The X and Y would control the direction of the circle it was walking in, and once the joystick was turned all the way (so that the robot was rotating in place) - the magnitude of the combination of X and Y would control the speed of rotation.
But that seems a little, well, weird. Have any of you all found a good way to control your walking robots?
Thanks,
-Mike
Mike wrote:

Sounds like a fun project. In first-person shooters, a common standard is for the WASD keys to control translation, while the mouse controls where the player is facing.
A similar scheme would apply to your robot. It should walk in the direction the joystick is pointing (step forward, backward, left, or right), and it should turn at a rate proportional to the joystick twist.
To turn a circle, press the stick in any direction and apply the desired twist. Figuring out how to make the legs do all this might be the hard part.
- Daniel Who's stuck in simulation land.
Use two sticks, like Battlezone! - even DPDT Center Off toggles would work.
Both forward = forward Left forward / Right back = rotate right (on axis) Left forward / Right Center = turn right (arc) Both back = reverse
There's more combo's but I have Adult ADHD.
-Will

I thought about using two joysticks - but that would just be too much for me. I really like to have at least one hand free. It would certainly simplify the control scheme, though.

You might try a multi button joy stick. I made a simple program to control two servo based pan/tilt web cams. When one button on the stick was pressed, it controlled cam A pan/tilt. When the other button was pressed, cam B was controlled. With no button pushed, the stick was deactivated allowing the stick to return to neutral with out the cam following it.
Ever consideredthe PS2 Controler. There's a way to control your robot directly with a wireless "PS2 Controler" unit.
Click below for details on entire kit:
http://www.lynxmotion.com/Product.aspx?productID37&CategoryID
Good Luck Mike...