Where is the Futaba 601CR servo ?

So WHERE are the slick robotics oriented servos that I have been seeing in the Futaba ad pages for almost a year (maybe only 6 months) ? The number on them is "601CR" or "601CA", none of which leads me anywhere that shows these servos when doing a Google search.

I'm chomping at the bit to know what the funky look is all about. What is that blue thing on the bottom of the one on the right ? I'm talking about the ad you can see on the inside front cover page of the latest Robot magazine (Fall

2006). Anyone have any scoop on these? Come'on Futaba ! Throw us a bone here !
Reply to
pogo

Futaba ad pages for almost a year (maybe

me anywhere that shows these servos when

blue thing on the bottom of the one on

page of the latest Robot magazine (Fall

I've not played with them personally, but Futaba has had the same teaser page on their site for at least as long:

Neither product is a "601xx" but I assume these are the production models. The RS403PR, mentioned on the page, is currently available. Tower Hobbies has it for about $130. Seeing how the average bipedal robot needs 8-10 of these, it certainly makes for an affordable project! Take heart: the RS404PD, also mentioned on the page, is only $40. Tower has these, too.

I don't know what Futaba uses as a programmer. I have the Hitec HFP-10 programmer/servo tester, but I don't know if it's compatible with Futaba digital servos. (It's compatible with all analog servos, except the funky older ones with the mixed-up wire connections.) The HFP-10 is super cool. I highly recommend it, even if you're not currently working with the digital models.

-- Gordon

Reply to
Gordon McComb