Which hardware do i need ?

Hi there,

i plan to build my own robot. Because i do not have any experiences yet i looked around the internet and still have some questions...

The Controler i want to use is an Oopic-R. As far as i understand it has 20 I/O-Lines but not all are servo-capable.

The robot i want to build would have 20 Servos, Compass, IR-Sensor, Serial LCD, a few buttons and maybe force sensors. So i would need almost 40 I/O-Lines with at least 20 of them servo-capable. So, what do i need for dealing with that ?

2 Oopics together ? Or 1 Oopic plus additional servo controller(s) ?

Would be really great if someone could give me a hint!! :-)

Regards,

Caliban

Reply to
Caliban

You need to build a bus system. I'd recommend using 16 of the i/o lines for the data bus, and put the other four into a 4-16 decoder and use that to address i/o devices.

Tom

Reply to
Tom McEwan

I suggest that you back off of the 20 servo idea for a while. Getting that many servos to coordinate takes some serious skull-sweat and computing effort. start smaller and work your way up as you learn the technology. The OOPic R is a good starter board for that.

DLC

Reply to
Dennis Clark

If you don't mind hooking up the OOPic to another device, there's always this:

All you need to do is use the standard i2c commands to drive it (and hence the 20 servos). The diagram on this page even shows how to hook it up to an OOPic!

-Shane

Reply to
Shane Bouslough