Mercury Switches & Serial Transfer

Hi,

Does anyone know of a chip that can read a number of parallel bits and transfer them serially?

I'm trying to detect the state of a number of mercury tilt-switches then send the data to the COM port. I suppose I could design it from scratch using gates but this would be silly if a chip with this capability already existed...

regards, -Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

It's called a UART if you want to use the serial port. Or, you could use shift registers.

Cheers!

Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page -

Sir Charles W. Shults III

Much thanks & appreciation!

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis

Using gates, the cost to you will be $5.

Use a PIC and the cost is $1-50.

Reply to
Airy R Bean

Im not sure if you know already but if you use the parallel port (LPT1) you can read the mercury switches directly without adding extra ICs.

Reply to
nettron2000

Yeah thanks but I'm lazy, I don't want to have to unplug my printer & scanner :-)

-Duncan

Reply to
Blog the Haggis