Mercury Switches & Serial Transfer

Hi,
Does anyone know of a chip that can read a number of parallel bits and transfer them serially?
I'm trying to detect the state of a number of mercury tilt-switches then
send the data to the COM port. I suppose I could design it from scratch using gates but this would be silly if a chip with this capability already existed...
regards, -Duncan
It's called a UART if you want to use the serial port. Or, you could use shift registers.
Cheers!
Chip Shults My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip

use
Much thanks & appreciation!
-Duncan
Using gates, the cost to you will be $5.
Use a PIC and the cost is $1-50.

Im not sure if you know already but if you use the parallel port (LPT1) you can read the mercury switches directly without adding extra ICs.

Yeah thanks but I'm lazy, I don't want to have to unplug my printer & scanner :-)
-Duncan