Are hybrids always HPR?

Kevin, it is my understanding that a G or smaller hybrid could be configured into an LMR or even a true under-1-pound model rocket, if you added the weight of the N2O to the dry weight of the motor and the unloaded weight of the rocket. Such a rocket would be flyable under LMR or model rocket rules, but you would still have to be a Level 1 to fly it. IIRC, both NAR and Tripoli have noted in their rules that hybrid fliers must be Level 1, and of course you can use a hybrid H to get your Level 1 cert.

My shipment of 29mm Skyripper grains hasn't arrived yet (and it was mailed to me almost two weeks ago...!@$@!$#) but if it had, I was planning to fly an Aerotech Barracuda with the Skyripper G at ECRM-32 last weekend. It would have been flyable under their LMR status, as they had informed the local ATC that LMRs would be flown.

Doug Pratt

Kev> With the introduction of the Skyripper 29mm motors, I suspect it would be

launched

Reply to
pratthobbies

Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed [announce only]

Doug, I was trying to confirm the NAR L1 requirement you mention, but the all I found on the NAR website was:

Certification for high power rocketry consists of three progressive levels:

a.. Level 1 allows the purchase and use of H and I impulse class motors. Certain F and G motors may also require Level 1 certification for purchase and use.

b.. Level 2 allows the purchase and use of J, K, and L impulse class motors and hybrid rocket motors.

c.. Level 3 certification allows the purchase and use of M, N, and O impulse class rocket motors.

This seem to state that you must be an L2. Or am I misreading/misinterpretting?

Reply to
bit eimer

In Tripoli's opinion? Nothing.

:)

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I tried to extend it down to D's and E's!

Once the rules were screwed so bad it became possible and practical!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The Aerotech "pin valve" tanks are filled by weight before installation, so you would see the full loaded weight with those... for the "UC valve" (RATT, etc.) and Hypertek styles, which are filled on the pad until liquid somes out the vent port, the oxidizer load is determined by the capacity of the tank and the layout of the vent plumbing, so what you would want would be a reference chart showing how many grams of nitrous it takes to fill each style and size.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Isn't a picture a form of art, and as such, subjective in substance in the eye of the beholder?

Fred

Reply to
WallaceF

Yes. Some choose to look at it from a myopic point of view.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

When it comes to Jerry and Iz, I have to wonder which one bedaholder.

8-)

Could the be the completion of the Mosaic or is it a new one?

Reply to
Phil Stein

So I take it YOU see nothing wrong with the above snippet of association rules.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

No, that's just a vomit stain on the floor.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

launched

Kevin,

I just compiled this info today...

It'll be up on the website by the end of the weekend. Thanks for asking!

G63

163g hardware weight 44g reload weight (includes preheater) 56g nitrous @70 deg. Total loaded weight 263g 35g grain weight after burn Recovery weight 198g 9g burned solid propellant. Propellant weight: 65g

G69

196g hardware weight 44g reload weight (includes preheater) 93g nitrous weight @70 deg. Total loaded weight 333g 30g grain weight after burn. Recovery weight 226g 14g burned solid propellant. Propellant weight: 107g

H78

237g hardware weight 44g reload weight (includes preheater) 137g nitrous weight @70 degrees Total loaded weight - 418g 23g grain weight after burn Recovery weight 260g 21g burned solid propellant. Propellant weight: 158g

Todd Moore Sky Ripper Systems.

Reply to
tamoore

Doug,

The 'new' rule, as I understand it, allows any 18 year old member to fly a model rocket sized hybrid rocket motor. (No L1 cert required). I take this from the info that Paul Holmes sent out just prior to the certification of the Sky Ripper Systems G motors. Being so new, I can believe this info hasn't been filtered through to the various associations rules website.

If anyone can clarify the official position on this, it would be appreciated.

Your reloads were shipped out two saturdays ago....(April

9th).....Ground USPS is acting really slow on the east coast for whatever reason. :(
Reply to
tamoore

I see it as a class of product that was not thought of when the rules were created. I'm sure that in time, the rules that apply will be adjusted for this product. I'm also sure that the volunteers that do this will not do it soon enought for some whiners.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Is he responsive or what?

Reply to
Phil Stein

So he was able to change NFPA-1122 and 1127 in the blink of an eye?

Cool!

Magical!

Or to authorities with criminal prosecution powers based on law on the books.

Ditto.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Doug,

The 'new' rule, as I understand it, allows any 18 year old member to fly a model rocket sized hybrid rocket motor. (No L1 cert required). I take this from the info that Paul Holmes sent out just prior to the certification of the Sky Ripper Systems G motors. Being so new, I can believe this info hasn't been filtered through to the various associations rules website.

If anyone can clarify the official position on this, it would be appreciated.

Your reloads were shipped out two saturdays ago....(April

9th).....Ground USPS is acting really slow on the east coast for whatever reason. :(
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

But what about "living the lifestyle"?

What "law on the books" are you referring to?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Given the extra complexity of hybrids, plus the requirement for electronic ejection, some sort of user certification is needed. They aren't general consumer products like D12s. Unless/until some seperate hybrid certification level exists, L1 will have to do.

Bob Kaplow

No motor eject?

:)

Reply to