C11 serie of motors

Someone can explain the exclusive utility of using a C11 motor (Estes).

Somthing that a D serie can't do.

Pierre

Reply to
Claire

Allows a rocket that needs a big initial impulse to be flown on a small field?

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

They're great little motors for keeping larger models at lower altitudes for small field flying or for those windier days when you don't want a long recovery drift.

A little cheaper than D's?

Reply to
Gary

Is that a question or a statement?

;-)

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Two words: Venus Probe.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

It's a rhetorical question :-)

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

24mm rocket, smaller field.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

2 more: C Eggloft

Now why are they currently more expensive than D12's at my local Hobbytown??

Regards,

Bob Bernatchez

NAR 29996

Reply to
Bob Bernatchez

I noticed that same thing at a Ben Franklin that carries motors. I just figured it was mispricing.

Stones

Reply to
stones

I suspect that the D12's are probably a higher-production item, and thus end up getting out into the distribution chain at a wholesale price with a more favorable quantity discount built into it.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

At

C11-X 3-packs are only $6.43 vs $7.70 for D12-X

3-packs.
Reply to
bit eimer

Lower flights for smaller fields. Particularly for models designed for 24mm motors or that need the higher thrust fo a C11 vs a C6.

Commanche booster comes to mind.

Bob Kaplow

Estes Black Brant, Rogue Aerospace (forget the name but looks like an upscaled Mosquito), Estes Maniac, Estes Skybolt are some of the rockets I've had fun using these motors in. Cool idea IMHO for Estes to produce these.

Anybody ever tried one in a Mean Machine?

Reply to
P.K. Moore

A C11 in a Mean Machine......

What sort of medication are you on ?

My Mean Machine wont get out of it's own way on a D12...

Flys great on a E18 or F21

------------------------------------- Jim Chambers

------------- NAR 80299 L1

------------------------------------- F.A.R.T. Friendly American Rocket Technologies Friendly American Rocket Team

--------------------------------- Excuse Me Sir............ Is That 5 Minute Epoxy ?

---------------------------------

Reply to
Jim Chambers

The Mean machine flies pretty high on a D12-5 - AND it does not use a D12-3. Therefore a C11-3 should make it fly 1/2 x "pretty high".

;-)

(maybe you built your MM heavier than stock).

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

MM on C11-3 goes about 180 ft (rocksim). Still too high for my backyard :-(

Compare 450 for D12, 1040 for E9.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

OOOH, cool idea:

Regular Mean Machine with C11-3 drag raced with Micro-Mean Machine with MicroMaxx II-1 motor.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Actually, I've been thinking about a rocket with a 3x mmaxx cluster. Sort of a quarter scale Rickter Recker, maybe.

It's hard to design cool rockets for small yards.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

And even harder to get them lit :)

I'd think more along the lines of a cluster of 13 mm motors. Three half-A's in a BT-55 would be a baby B, and won't go far, but it will be easy to light.

Here are some more:

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

That's just a "technical issue" ;-)

I sim'd that too. 3x 1/2A3 pushes a scale RR to 117 ft. A 1/4A3 pushes it to 35ft, with ejection at 29ft. I wonder if that's high enough...

What, no 6mm cluster patterns? ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie