CA gone gooey?

Anyone have unopened containers of CA adhesive turn all gummy? The CA is not solid, just a very thick syrup. Is there a way to recover the CA so it's usable (there were 3 unopened containers of it that I don't want to throw out)? Like I said, the containers were unopened, as in NEVER opened since the caps were screwed on at the factory. Probably spending a good part of the summer in the shed, where it got over 100deg F commonly didn't help matters.

Reply to
sooky grumper

Yeah, I've had that happen occasionally, if I haven't used it for a long time. Don't know what to do about it though.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Nothing can be done. I always store my unopened CA in the refrigerator. Lasts for years. Just take it out and let it warm to room temperature before use.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Hey, aren't you in the wrong newsgroup sooky? :-)

Reply to
Ichy

It happens. Don't know of a recovery but you can get 2 tubes at Wal-Mart for $1.00.

I think ca was invented for only 2 reasons. To glue your fingers together and frustrate the crap of people building rockets.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

"Re: CA gone gooey?"

So. California has a GUI now? Should have known the command line was too much for those soft liberals... ;)

The magic word is "volatiles".

Get a lot of that in the hobby... :)

Molecules that easily dissassociate from their matrix and migrate freely. Solvents in products are generally volatiles.

A bit more complicated in CA because the stuff wants to combine with water...badly.

The molecules drift out of the sealed bottle... a few at atime.

Nope. That would require reformulating the adhesive with the volatiles. Expensive as hell if done right... flatly lethal if done wrong.

If the containers _can_ be be opened then volatiles will escape.

It's simply a matter of time, environment, and how tight the factory seal actually is.

Nope... it wouldn't help much at all.

Refrigeration, as pointed out elsewhere, has the opposite effect.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

Not entirely certain I really want those volatile solvents escaping near my food and medicine in my fridge, though :-/ Perhaps I'll buy smaller bottles and just keep them in a cooler (on average) place, like the closet where we keep other chemicals (cleaning products and such).

Reply to
sooky grumper

Hey... my insulin is alla time getting loose and wandering around the fridge despite rubber seals and caps... if the level in the bottlefalls below a few units... Family is still kicking :)

(Motto of a radicals chemist: "Molecules want to be free!")

If you like, but I think the escape rate of refrigerated CA would be undetectable, especially in unopened (still full) bottles.

Reply to
Chuck Stewart

Say you keep your CA in the refrigerator & say you want take it to a launch....say the nozzle too deformed or crudded-up for the top to go all the way on & seal tightly.....in this situation, would keeping the bottle in ziploc bag at the launch help any? -- Richard "say what?" Hickok

Reply to
Rhhickok

I always keep my glue(s) in a ziplock during transit and field use !

Reply to
almax

I knew there had to be a reason why I was gaining weight. I wonder if I can lose weight with debonder?

:-)

John

Reply to
John Stein