Cheap accellerometers?

Does anyone know any good *cheap*, single-axis accelerometers with a range of about +/- 10 g's (error on the order of +/- 1%)? I'm hoping to incorporate this with a microcontroller. Measurement intervals would be no faster than 100/s (probably more like 20/s).

Any suggestions or experience to offer?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Reply to
David Harper

Analog Devices has some - IC package, various ranges. Look for "ADXL" part numbers.

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Analog Devices offer free samples. There are several app notes on the web site. Beware that they are also excellent vibration sensors and need both hardware and software filtering to get accurate acceleration data.

have some sensors. Gary Deaver

Reply to
Gary Deaver

ADXL210

Available through Digi-Key. Depending on packaging the price is as low as $15.30 each.

This is a surface mount part (as are all of the Analog Devices accels) and has a PWM ouput so you do not need an ADC.

David Harper wrote:

Reply to
David Schultz

Wow, those look pretty amazing. So for the dual axis accelerometers all you need to do is set the duty cycle with a resistor to ground, add capaciter filtering, and measure the duty cycles?

The single analog one looked even easier.

I appreciate the info!

Dave

Reply to
David Harper

I got the sinle and dual axis from Analog for free. Fillin the form on the website..They do offer free samples of a lot of their products..

Reply to
Kevin Timmins

Thanks for the advice! I got a free ADXL210 today from Analog. Awesome. Only thing is I didn't look at the spec sheet too closely. It's a 1.27 mm pitch 8-lead LCC package, and I haven't been able to find a connector for it anywhere. Looks like I'll have to strap a magnifying lens to my face, break out the fine-tip for the soldering iron, and down about 10 diet cokes to get that thing on a board.

Appreciate the tip though! Dave

Reply to
David Harper

try these boards

Maybe they have one for the part you need.

> also have some sensors.

Reply to
Robert DeHate

Nifty products including a breakout board for the ADXL210 for $2.95. They will even toss in the required filter caps and resistor for another buck. If you don't feel like soldering this tiny part, you can get an assembled card for $30.

David Harper wrote: > Thanks for the advice! I got a free ADXL210 today from Analog. > Awesome. Only thing is I didn't look at the spec sheet too closely. > It's a 1.27 mm pitch 8-lead LCC package, and I haven't been able to > find a connector for it anywhere. Looks like I'll have to strap a > magnifying lens to my face, break out the fine-tip for the soldering > iron, and down about 10 diet cokes to get that thing on a board. >

Reply to
David Schultz