Cluster Choice?

I've read up on a few articles / posts that are floating around the net on clustering a FatBoy.
Have narrowed it down to either a 3x24 or (1x24 + 6x18)
The 3x24 seems the easiest way and would be quick & fun. Slightly in the lead for choice......
However the 1x24+6x18 has more advantages.
1) I can still fly it on a single D or E motor (Cheap) 2) Can fly it on many different motor combos. (Choice) 3) Could use a timer to airstart 3 of the 18mm. (Cool) 4) More smoke effects at lift-off with all 6x18mm fired up. (Crowd Pleaser)
Out of interest the costs per launch are as follows - (Store prices, no bulk order, no discount, I gotta fly it now prices)
3x24 MMT - 3xE - AU$48.00 3xD - AU$30.00
24 + 6x18 MMT - 1xE+6xC - AU$54.00 1xE+3xC - AU$35.00 1xE - AU$16.00 1xD+6xC - AU$48.00 1xD+3xC - AU$29.00 1xD - AU$10.00 6xC - AU$38.00 3xC - AU$19.00
What would your personal preference be?

A USR brand 54mm mount is also an Interchange Mount -tm for these: 3x24mm 1x29mm 1x24mm 7x18mm

CJC wrote:

<snip>
3x24
Quicker build, but also quicker flight preps. A 3 motor cluster is also (probably?) more reliable than a 7 motor shot.
--
Gary Bolles

summum jus, summa injuria est

I'd go with the 6x18mm + 1x24mm. It fits *really* well in a BT-80, especially if you bring 3x0.125" thick plywood fins to the 24mm motor mount. That's how my "Mongol Horde" is built. I have been very successful launching it on a D12-5 or D12-7, and three each of C6-5 and C6-7 motors. I almost always get all 7 to light, but occasionally get only 6.
The reason for the mixed delays? A 5-second delay is just about perfect, but having 7 ejection charges going off at once is a "bad thing" in a tube this thin. Even with the extra-long delays on about half the motors, I still made sure to coat the inside of the tube with thin CA for durability. Despite these precautions, I still get paint bubbling on occasion at the forward end of the motor mount.
Have fun!
- Rick "Estes F power, and launchable with Notification" Dickinson
--
"I've always been taught that if you code an arbitrary limit, try to
make it a power of two, or at least avoid powers of ten, so people

durability.
Good call. It helps. If you're worried about a high number ejections you can use plugged engines in a few or maybe even ca some heavy duty freezer foil to the entire inside of the bt.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
I'm sure I read a post somewhere and they cut up a beer can....sorry...coke can...for tube protection..

CJC wrote:

at those prices I'd fly it 10 times on 1x C6-3 and fly to the US with the money I saved and buy more motors, cheap. wow, motors are expensive in Australia!!

Australian currency is less valuable too, by something like 1/3+.

Just had my first experience with that. Paid $41 US to get a product from OZ, instead of 70-80 to buy it here in the USA. Shipping was only $4 Aus. And that's for something made in Europe! Only difference from what I bought here was the package specs were in KG instead of LBS.
I've bought several region 1 DVDs from Canada for less than the US prices, but just bought a Canadian DVD from Florida to get the best price on it!
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. -- Charles A. Beard
You may be the most sensible person on here! :-)

Morning CJC, I have a number of (1x24 + 6x18) clusters and they are definitely a crowd pleaser. Best thing if you can fly them on a number of different configurations. 1 C12-3 A8-x (for my rocket weight) this provides a quick burn and low flight. Then again 6 C6-3s & an central E is quite impressive.
-cat

Pleaser)
writes:

I too prefer cluster configurations that give flexibility. When I built my Super Ranger, I slightly compromised scale by going with 4x24mm instead of 3x29mm, so I could use either 2 or 4 motors. Plus 24mm motors are much cheaper than 29mm.
My favorite cluster rocket is another NIRA members "D80". He mis-heard someone say G80, and asked "What's a D80?", then built one. It's a cluster of EIGHT A10-3Ts, and takes off in a hugh cloud of fire and smoke. I've got this idea bouncing around my "Round Tuit" list that will be a cluster of 12 A10-3Ts...
You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence. -- Charles A. Beard
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:

I always thought it would be neat to cluster an E9 or F10 with a ring of A10-P's to give a bird that leaps off the pad, then soars gracefully to altitude.
Getting everything lit at the right times is probably the trickiest part.

Or just use a G8.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

you mean, an uncertified, illegally manufactured, illegally transported G8?

No.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Then why did you suggest using a motor that is unavailable or nonexistent?

The lady who does all the early work with my race horses has given me permission to launch from her new 50 acre property. Hardly any trees!!!! Horses in the top paddocks but........
She knows 100's of other people in the industry (Most have large, good launching properties) and all their kids are in the pony clubs....
I'd like to put on a good show for her kids & the neighbours kids...and maybe get them all interested in rocketry.
I'm sure they'd flip over a cluster!

So will the horses :-(
NEVER launch around horses, especially horses being ridden. It will spook the horses, and could injur the riders. Even if they are fenced in.
We have awakened a sleeping giant and instilled in it a terrible resolve. -- Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, WWII.
Heh heh heh...... Yeah I learned all about launching with animals.
My first launch as a Youngish BAR.......Lemonator on a C6-5 in the front yard. Horse paddock begins about 30m away. Being as smart as horses are they were milling about watching what I was doing. Something new going on here they thought.
3,2,1 launch........I spent the next few seconds worrying & watching the horses disappear down the other end of the paddock....If they could only run that fast in the race! Wasn't concerned were the rocket went.....
Since that experience (Scarred Me) I do the following...-
.. Never launch within 100m of flighty animals (My dogs luv it) .. .. Give a few loud claps & whistles to let them know what's about to happen. .. (Since I've been doing this it has helped a great deal) .. .. And I would NEVER launch when a person's on top..