epoxies...

I need some good epoxies for filling wood grain for finishing, but the hardware store stuff isn't cutting it (they dont cure quite hard enough and
sands like crap). I understand there are certain epoxies that aren't hazardous therefore can be shipped by air... any examples?
--
TAI FU

epoxies take weeks to FULLY cure. epoxies are also not intended for "filling grain" like a sanding sealer.
Google "sanding sealer" and see what you get.
Most epoxy "cure times" listed are for "can be used",not for "complete cure".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Actually they do quite well for filling grain.
Years ago someone told me one of the tricks they used in Penrose for photo models. Get a couple sheets of heavy plate glass. Spray them both with PAM or a mold release. Mix up some epoxy finishing resin or laminating resin, and squeegee it over both sides of a fin. Set it on the glass, then put the other piece of glass on top and make a sandwich. Stack some heavy books on it and wait until fully cured. You now have a glass-like finish on your fins.
The tricks I saw were when I was there were very wet coats of heavy bodied spray primer, rubbed into the wood while wet then allowed to dry, then sanded and repeated if necessary. Also, all fin/wing edges were left square as that results in crisper photo images. Never saw anyone do what you're describing but that was likely another person, another time - but it sounds like it would work well, except of course for rounded leading and trailing edges..
writes:

on
(yet)! <<<

www.nar.org
writes:

IIRC it was the other Mike that told me this. And he said they didn't round the edges either.
On 24 Dec 2006 08:10:13 -0600, kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

So then, how do they get the catalog model weight? I'm guessing they don't actually weight the crappy, heavily finished, catalog model to get their published catalog model weight.
Alan
writes:

weigh BEFORE finishing?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote in writes:

what I meant was epoxy used as a "sanding sealer",where a coat is applied,allowed to harden,then sanded;epoxy does not harden fast enough.
sure,epoxy will "fill the grain",but it's not sandable soon enough.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
"Jim Yanik" < snipped-for-privacy@abuse.gov> wrote in message
writes:

Try any of the laminating epoxies, like West, System 3, or Raka. I'm not sure what the shipping status is for any of these. Try looking at local places that sell supplies for boatbuilders.
If you wanna "fill" fins ... just use a "fill-er" .. it's not rocket science. no need to jump thru hoops for such a simple task
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Or use G10.... Simple!
sorry for top posting!
Paul.
writes:

Paul wrote:

Ditto. Much simpler. Just make sure to wear a dust mask when cutting & sanding G10.
DSC