ROL sold?

so Brent McNeely has jumped ship after ruining ROL, huh? how wonderful. i would have offered to buy it but anything more than the domain name renewal price would have been too much. apparently the auctions are going to get updated software. looks like the aj's auction script is the choice. go ahead and reserve your new account today:

terry6969

I received an email recently that all ads for Extreme Rocketry are to go some place in Tampa instead of Las Vegas. I was wondering if Brent moved or what?

Did he sell Extreme Rocketry too? I hope the new owners didn't pay much for ROL as Brent really drove it into the ground. It was a on downhill slide before the redesign, but ROL 2.0 put the nails in the coffin.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Reply to
Hyphlight

Reply to
NaCl

like i said, anything more than the price of renewing the domain name was too much. don't the new owner's realize its not the domain name, its who runs the site (and how) that matters?

ROL is like a zombie that doesn't know its dead. it was dead before 2.0 came out, its really dead now. just pull the plug on the damned thing.

and who versionizes websites? ever hear of CNN 2.0? USA Today 3.2? apparently its a disease that affects people in las vegas since rocketsilo caught the disease as well before the plug was pulled on it.

maybe sylvester stalone bought the site? ROL 2.0 (and 3.0) will be just like Rocky - 6 versions out and still sux.

Reply to
terry6969

Please, don't register a new account just yet.

First, we're not done tweaking and testing the software.

Second, the entire user data will be dumped and recreated before it goes live -- all past user information and feedback will be imported into the new system just prior to release. A test import of a large number of users has already been performed.

-Kevin

Reply to
me

you mean like was done when you went from ROL 1.0 to ROL 2.0? auction users lost, what, 5-6 years of feedback on that move? why not go back and import

*that* information? its far more valuable than what's there now. but then again, it must be easier to import six months of feedback than six years - you probably did that by hand.
Reply to
terry6969

lost, what, 5-6 years of feedback on that move? why not go back and import

*that* information? its far more valuable than what's there now. but then again, it must be easier to import six months of feedback than six years - you probably did that by hand.

Terry,

How nice of you to volunteer to help.

Reply to
Phil Stein

The new owners may not have access to the old information.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

hey, no problem. i should have it done by noon. i can't see how it would take longer to transfer the six auction accounts. i would already have it finished but i can't find the URL for rocketry online. what was it again? i deleted it months and months ago.

Reply to
terry6969

one of the new owners was the one who installed the existing auction software this past summer and elected not to transfer the feedback from the original auctions. if he deleted that feedback then he is part of the problem not the solution therefore switching ownership won't help a thing.

personally, i sense nothing has changed. if i had to venture a guess, it would be that mcneely is desperate for money and the "new" ownership charade gives the impression that someone new owns the site. i suspect the reality is that until the new site generate some success (ie income) there is no way the "new" owners can pay mcneely off. thats just my take.

Reply to
terry6969

strange, that was my reaction as well.

Reply to
terry6969

that type of activity might be par for the course where you come from, but for the vast majority of people, rocketry is a family hobby. that type of activity is not something i would want to share with my children nor is it something i want my children to believe is "par for the course" when it comes to rocketry.

envious? why would i be envious of someone with flamingo orange hair slobbering on some baby rhinocerous? the correct emotion is repulsed or sickened. when i think of the rocketry, i don't think of this. sorry.

Reply to
terry6969

let me refer you to what I responded to snipped-for-privacy@junglevisions.com.

jealous? why would i be jealous of someone with flamingo orange hair slobbering on some baby rhinocerous? the correct emotion is repulsed or sickened. when i think of the rocketry, i don't think of this. sorry.

Reply to
terry6969

Reply to
Chad Ellis

lost, what, 5-6 years of feedback on that move? why not go back and import

*that* information? its far more valuable than what's there now.

Sorry; maybe I wasn't explicit enough. By "all user information", that means back to the beginning of "ROL time". Thousands of users, lots of data.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Kevin,

I look forward to the new site.

Why don't we all just wait and see how it shakes out before slamming it on usenet (although I realize this seems to be exactly what usenet is for).

Just promise you won't dye your hair or mix heavy drinking with digital photography.

I thought "what happens >

Reply to
NaCl

baby rhinocerous? the correct emotion is repulsed or sickened. when i think of the rocketry, i don't think of this.

I understand how you might not want your children to look like a baby rino with orange hair but for them to survive these days, they at least have to behave themslves around them. You do not seem to be setting a good example for them to learn to get along with others that maybe different.

signed - Mister PC ;-)

Reply to
Phil Stein

Thanks. Tim's working on a really nice layout for it that I think folks will like.

No worries there -- you have to have hair in order to be able to dye it!

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Then why did you bother to hunt it down and post it to a rocketry group.

Reply to
Hyphlight