ROL Netmail

back in the late 90's ROL had a netmail feature. the announcement is at http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.rockets/browse_thread/thread/c384c2e3696effa8/8a7d5c203d7dc3c6?lnk=st&q=Rocketry+Online+announces+Yahoo-style+free+email+services&rnum=1&hl=en#8a7d5c203d7dc3c6
what is the status of this service?
Have you tried checking with ROL?
Phil
On 03 Sep 2006 10:09:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.models.rockets/browse_thread/thread/c384c2e3696effa8/8a7d5c203d7dc3c6?lnk=st&q=Rocketry+Online+announces+Yahoo-style+free+email+services&rnum=1&hl=en#8a7d5c203d7dc3c6
John Bowles wrote:

AOL is not overzealous when it comes to sending legitimate mail. they provide you with everything you need to do to get mail through their servers. it may be as simple as setting up an spf record or a hard as configuring abuse accounts, but the fact of the matter is: if you are not a spammer, AOL will not block your email if you follow their instructions. its not that hard, but apparently it is for ROL.

Why should I need someone elses instructions to send any one email?
Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

what kind of freaking idiot has his own name servers but can't even keep up with his websites mail server records? i cant even imagine someone trying to run a website who just abandons their websites mx records.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

with his websites mail server records? i cant even imagine someone trying to run a website who just abandons their websites mx records.
Just because someone can spell "DNS" does not mean they know what it is.
--
Visit Rocketry Planet - http://www.rocketryplanet.com

Bob Kaplow wrote:

you as an individual may not. ROL, as a provider of auction services, may. those instructions are called rfc's and policies regarding those rfc's. it's not that difficult.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

The status of the service is up and active. While there is no mention of the service anywhere on the Rocketry Online site, you can still go to http://netmail.rocketryonline.com and sign up for a web-based email account and receive an email address ending in @rocketryonline.com.
You mention ROL's inability to deliver an auction message to AOL. Perhaps AOL is blocking mail from ROL because their mail server is associated with a free-mail host. But the fact that ROL seems to have abandoned their own netmail service without repossessing their mail server's MX records might have something to do with that.
Looking at their MX records you see:
; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> -t mx rocketryonline.com ;; global options: printcmd ;; Got answer: ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 31195 ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUESTION SECTION: ;rocketryonline.com. IN MX
;; ANSWER SECTION: rocketryonline.com. 14440 IN MX 10 sitemail2.everyone.net.
;; AUTHORITY SECTION: rocketryonline.com. 14440 IN NS ns1.rocketryonline.com. rocketryonline.com. 14440 IN NS ns2.rocketryonline.com.
;; Query time: 3136 msec ;; WHEN: Mon Sep 4 20:59:31 2006 ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 110 ----------------------
Apparently half-analyzed decisions made by unknowledgeable individuals have led to half-baked results. This is usually the result of people who don't know what they are doing.
How long has the ROL auction email problem existed? Simply amazing.
Perhaps they could use their own unused netmail service to offer web-based email accounts to AOL users of the auctions?
--
Visit Rocketry Planet - http://www.rocketryplanet.com

Darrell D. Mobley wrote:

Well, Mr. Smart Guy. If you think it's so easy maybe you should just do it yourself !
:)
Steve Bloom
default wrote:

Damn it, I will! Wait. I already have. ;-)
See below:
--
Visit Rocketry Planet - http://www.rocketryplanet.com

On 04 Sep 2006 03:09:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You're the one that asked for the status of it. It sounds like you already knew the answer when you asked the question
Phil
Philip Stein wrote:

Actually, Phil, I was the one that answered his question.
--
Visit Rocketry Planet - http://www.rocketryplanet.com

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 17:28:37 -0400, "Darrell D. Mobley"

Sure sounds like he had the answer when he replied to me but whatever - no biggie to me either way.
Phil