Estes Requests Feedback - Bring Back The oldies

I understand, Bob. But the City believes there is an "issue" with the FAA and model rockets and has asked me to show that the local TRACON has no restrictions in place for model rockets over the city park we are discussing. The city believes there is an issue because there are records of past requests for model rocket activities in Parks which were disapproved due to "FAA restrictions", probably because of the exact same circumstances I fell into. The gentleman I am dealing with at Parks and Open Spaces is very supportive of my proposal. He just wants something from TRACON that he can show to his bosses which says there are no FAA restrictions on model rocket activities other than the MRSC. There seems to be a common misunderstanding within the City bureaucracy about this. I'm not trying to get any permissions from the FAA, just an acknowledgment from whom the city considers to be the AHJ that FAR 101.1 applies and that compliance with the MRSC is all that is necessary to satisfy the FAA.

Reply to
Gary

Hey, what happened to the link? Oh, there it is...

Bob Kaplow

Then show them FAR 101.1 which IS in writing. Or ask someone from the TRACON to send you a copy of FAR 101.1. If this continues to be a problem, contact me offline, and I'll put you in touch with some FAA folks who can help you straighten this out.

Your launch site isn't 500' outside LAX, is it? NIRAs current field is about

7 miles from ORD, so we are used to dealing with airspace issues, but haven't had any problems with this site. Now if we asked for a waiver...

Bob Kaplow

I have. Its a question on the City's part as to whether there are any "other" FAA restrictions involved.

Indeed, I will contact you if the problem is not resolved quickly and I appreciate your offer and your concern with my "problem".

The prospective site is on a new acquisition of about a 1,000 acres of primarily farm land along the eastern edge of Aurora, CO. Flat, few trees, and away from existing developments. Perfect in those respects. It is about 7 miles south of ZDV, but only 2-3 miles east of Buckley AFB, which has an E-W runway. It is directly south of Aurora Airpark, a small, private airport.

I didn't pick the site, it was proposed to me by the Parks Department as a possibility since essentially all other city lands are restricted by ordinances either outside of Parks' jurisdiction or outside of their willingness to allow rocketry activities on. Sort of a last chance for a public site on city owned recreational lands.

State lands father east were also proposed, but the distances involved are approaching those to the NAR section site out west. My intent here is to find a local site which can be used by modroc flyers who might not be motivated to drive to the CRASH site and would like to fly more often than twice a month. Its a little more difficult to get going than I imagined it would be.

Reply to
Gary