[F-FT] Best knot to use?

What is the best knot to tie a piece of elastic cord to a piece of Kevlar cord?

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I would go with a sheep shank as it was designed for two different types of cord or rope to be connected. Find a Boy Scout Field Book for examples.

Reply to
nitram578

I think you meant to say Sheet Bend as a Sheep Shank is for shortening a rope rather than joining two different ropes together. See:

Mark Daughtry, SR

That's a sheet bend.

Reply to
David

Very neat page...with nice animations and explanations. Definitely one to bookmark. And like the author...I would not have the "cajones" to try the "sheep shank" under its intended purpose, either!...lol.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

Here is one I had not seen. Does this seem like it is a good one to use?

The "Fisherman's Knot" from:

Greg Heilers

What size ropes are you joining? Typically, you would use a Fisherman's Knot on cords of approximately the same size, and a sheet bend on ropes of different sizes (or stiffness). If one of the ropes is on the slippery side, I would use a double sheet bend, or I would tape the loose ends after tying.

Reply to
David

First, sleeve the Kevlar to prevent it from cutting the elastic. For a knot, a fisherrmans knot or a surgeons knot might be good choices. A sheet bend in Kevlar might slip. Check a kite catalog for this procedure.

WHat I usually do is make a loop in the sleeved Kevlar using a bowline. I make a similar loop in the elastic and thread it through the Kevlar loop. The two intertwined loops can't come apart as long as their own knots don't fail, yet it's easy to undo to replace the elastic later.

Bob Kaplow

The way I do it is to tie a loop in the end of the kevlar, and another loop in the end of the elastic, then put the elastic loop through the kevlar loop, and pull the elastic through itself until it tightens up on the kevlar.

Reply to
raydunakin

I'm sitting here thinking about what type of sleeving would be used then I tried using heat shrink tubing on it and it looks like it worked fine to attach a quick link to it. After doing that, I went to Into The Wind and saw the tubular braided stuff they sold. Is this where you get your sleeving?

Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

One thing no one has mentioned here ........relative knot strength.....if a length of line holds 100lbs.....and you were to use a bowline for instance, a knot which has a 65% knot strength...you have reduced the overall rating to 65lbs...by the way.....to my knowledge anyhow.....the bowline has the highest knot strenght ratingsof all the standard or simple knots...this may or may knot [pun intended] have any bearing on your situation.....that said though some knots can reduce the strenght rating by 50-75% .....that would definetly have some bearing.....jim h......just an old crusty sailor

Reply to
james hendricksen
[snipped...]

The figure-of-eight has a higher strength than the bowline -

Cheers,

Reply to
Bob

Reply to
Knot Important

Yup. IIRC a couple pieces of "sleeving" came with the spool of Kevlar I ordered from them years ago.

Bob Kaplow

Reply to
james hendricksen

rootwofake