[F-FT] Best knot to use?

What is the best knot to tie a piece of elastic cord to a piece of Kevlar cord?
David Erbas-White

I would go with a sheep shank as it was designed for two different types of cord or rope to be connected. Find a Boy Scout Field Book for examples.

I think you meant to say Sheet Bend as a Sheep Shank is for shortening a rope rather than joining two different ropes together. See: http://www.bsa-gnyc.org/sbend.htm
--
Best regards,
Mark Daughtry, SR
Mark Daughtry, SR wrote:

Very neat page...with nice animations and explanations. Definitely one to bookmark. And like the author...I would not have the "cajones" to try the "sheep shank" under its intended purpose, either!...lol.
--

Greg Heilers
That's a sheet bend.

David wrote:

Here is one I had not seen. Does this seem like it is a good one to use?
The "Fisherman's Knot" from: http://www.scoutingresources.org.uk/knots_az01.html
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)

First, sleeve the Kevlar to prevent it from cutting the elastic. For a knot, a fisherrmans knot or a surgeons knot might be good choices. A sheet bend in Kevlar might slip. Check a kite catalog for this procedure.
WHat I usually do is make a loop in the sleeved Kevlar using a bowline. I make a similar loop in the elastic and thread it through the Kevlar loop. The two intertwined loops can't come apart as long as their own knots don't fail, yet it's easy to undo to replace the elastic later.
I'm not afraid of terrorists. I am terrorized by airport security. _george

I'm sitting here thinking about what type of sleeving would be used then I tried using heat shrink tubing on it and it looks like it worked fine to attach a quick link to it. After doing that, I went to Into The Wind and saw the tubular braided stuff they sold. Is this where you get your sleeving?
--
Best regards,
Mark Daughtry, SR

Yup. IIRC a couple pieces of "sleeving" came with the spool of Kevlar I ordered from them years ago.
This is a country which stands tallest in troubled times, a country that clings to fundamental principles, cherishes its constitutional heritage, and rejects simple solutions that compromise the values that lie at the roots of our democratic system. -- Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1972
David Erbas-White wrote:

The way I do it is to tie a loop in the end of the kevlar, and another loop in the end of the elastic, then put the elastic loop through the kevlar loop, and pull the elastic through itself until it tightens up on the kevlar.

One thing no one has mentioned here ........relative knot strength.....if a length of line holds 100lbs.....and you were to use a bowline for instance, a knot which has a 65% knot strength...you have reduced the overall rating to 65lbs...by the way.....to my knowledge anyhow.....the bowline has the highest knot strenght ratingsof all the standard or simple knots...this may or may knot [pun intended] have any bearing on your situation.....that said though some knots can reduce the strenght rating by 50-75% .....that would definetly have some bearing.....jim h......just an old crusty sailor
james hendricksen wrote:
[snipped...]

The figure-of-eight has a higher strength than the bowline -
http://www.bobarnott.com/rocketry/stuff/knots/index.shtml
Cheers,
--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com /