Glaze/sandable filler for body tubes

What's best for preparing paper body tubes for a super-smooth finish? Something to fill in the little spiral gap in the paper cover as well as
any low spots. I'm sure a few coats of primer would do the job, but that's a lot of sanding. Is there anything like a thin, brushable 'bondo' that sands off easily?
Rick
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 01:16:05 +0000, Rick wrote:

Not just "like" Bondo...but *is* Bondo. Try one of the two products (they are actually the same thing, both being made by the RPM Co.)
1) Testor's (red) model filler-putty (Found in any good hobby shop... *avoid* the WHITE putty)
2) Bondo (red) Glazing And Spot Putty (Found in any good auto-supply store)
Thin these with lacquer thinner, or Testor's Liquid Cement (the type in a bottle, for plastic models). Thin to the cliched consistency of milk, or heavy cream...and brush it on. In my experience, the adhesion tends to be a small tad better using the Testor's Liquid Cement...but, you will get a lot more mileage with the lacquer thinner. There *will* be some shrinkage, but this is minimal when applied in thin coats...and when done this way, each coat is basically dry in 30 minutes.
--

Greg Heilers

Greg, that is some *great* advice! I've been using the stuff for more years than I care to mention but never thought of thinning it!
Thanks, Dave
On Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:33:56 +0000, David Bacque wrote:

Funny...how often you hear that. I guarantee...that once you then it, you will be asking yourself: "How did I ever use this stuff *without* thinning it?!"
:o)
--

Greg Heilers

I have a tube of this - Bondo brand - that I use with rockets. I like it 'cause it dries fast, and can be sanded in as little as 20 minutes. I tend to only use it for last minute filling. Otherwise, it's FNF and then wait overnight before sanding.
That said, when I hear "Bondo" I still think of polyester body filler, the pink stuff with the separate hardener.
It's kinda like Kleenex or Velcro. The brand name is almost too recognizable.
Doug

Elmer's Fill'n'Finish Wood Filler.
It is their normal wood spot filler, but with microballoons. Thin it to slightly thinner than pancake batter consistency with water, then paint it on to the tube. Let dry then sand almost all of it off.
Easier to deal with than Bondo.
Roy nar12605