High durability shockcords for ModRocs

I have gathered that there are some really good and (relative to modrocs) expensive elastic shock cord alternatives.

My son is working on a simple 2 x 18mm cluster model. I convinced him to use a piston (plugged tube coupler). Because the piston requires the shock cord be mounted so far down, I would like to use something flame proof. Any good materials that I can get at the local hobby/craft/hardware stores? I've read that some heavy duty fishing line is kevlar and therefore just about what I am looking for. How about steel leaders or stuff like picture hanger wire? (which leads me to zipper prevention)

I expect to put a 4 or 5 foot long piece of 1/4" elastic to the nosecone, cut, with the piston in the center.

I'd like to start building like the big boyz and get my son thinking the same way. Please let me know what you think.

TIA,

Reply to
Thomas Koszuta

Tom, fishing Kevlar is waxed to make it run through the spinners more easily. Doesn't help when you want to glue it to a tube or tie a knot in it, though. I have a Kevlar yarn that I use in my kits, as well as other sizes and grades at

On my kits, the Kevlar shock cord is looped around the thrust ring and tied; it's right down there where the action is, and it doesn't burn through. Should be fine for your piston setup.

Doug Pratt dad-at-pratthobbies-dot-com

Thomas Koszuta wrote:

stores?

nosecone,

Reply to
pratthobbies

I'll vouch for that - 18 D12/E9 ejection charges later the kevlar line attached to the MMT of my 4x24 mm cluster rocket is dirty, but shows no signs of giving up.

Reply to
Niall Oswald