Delta coverage featuring Moose

Serious Nasa TV coverage of today's delta launch with massive on-screen time for Marc "Moose" Lavigne. Running back and forth with clipboard reading chart recoders of engine (and motor) data.

I watched in a window on my work PC while doing many other things. How cool.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

Congrats Moose!!

HPR may be dead, but Deltas still rock.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

He had the nicest shirt in the room. Very professional - I liked his style.

Everyone should watch the next Delta launch to see him in action.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I was wondering something about the Delta 4 launch. All three main engines burned hydrogen and oxygen, right? Then how come the flame was such as pronounced orange/yellow? Shouldn't it have been like the SSME flame which is nearly invisible?

Reply to
Kurt Schachner

From what I've read, the core engine is liquid, but it also has 6 (I think) solid booster motors - described as 'graphite/epoxy', 3 lit on the pad, another 3 lit after burnout of the first three.

There's cool video of the boosters separating and igniting, and you can see the massive diffusion of the trail at high altitude.

Reply to
Niall Oswald

You're thinking the Delta II and Delta III, in their common configurations. There are Delta II configurations with fewer GEMs (graphite epoxy motors). With cancellation of the Delta III, Beoing created a the Delta II Heavy, which uses the Delta III GEMs, as opposed to those more commonly seen on the Delta II.

The Delta IV also comes in several configurations, the Medium is just the core motor; the upper range Mediums use GEMs, adn the Delta IV Heavy uses three of the first stage motors.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

So which Delta *are* we talking about here? I'm lost now!

Reply to
Niall Oswald

I started talking about the Delta IV launch which featured Moose on the TV coverage.

Others started rambling about other Deltas.

The Delta IV uses 3 parallel common core boosters.

Use the web. It's easy and provides actual facts instead of garbled third hand remembrances.

Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

I was hearing his voice and just -WAITING- to hear him say a "Moosism" like "mash the button" or something. But he DID use a rocketeers term to describe the motors ejecting in mid-flight (ala U.S. Rockets Sentra SRB).

The images of in-flight "pod release" were really good and I do believe it was Moose that encouraged the video releases from prior flights from the main Delta body of the motors ejecting close-up and falling away.

Local rocketeer goes big time! Hi Moose (and tell the official NASA PR lady to stop calling you "Marc Lavigne", it sounds WIERD!

:)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Sorry, I completely missed the '4' - there was another Delta launch recently - January 12th 2005 - which was Delta 2, carrying 'Deep Impact'.

Sorry for my confusion Fred,

Reply to
Niall Oswald

Actually, I just made a mistake. D'oh!

The recent Moose TV was of the Delta II (I don't remember if it was "heavy" or not).

I just went off course when the question about the Delta IV flame/exhaust color came up.

Delta IV was launched a week or so earlier and I missed the live coverage. If Moose was working that one, he would have been pretty stressed since he monitors the performance (i.e. how much fuel and oxidizer left, speed, altitude, energy, etc.). So when the side boosters followed by the central core booster shut down a few seconds early and dropped away, he would have been watching the upper stage burns and levels and seen the inevitable 'run dry' situation.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

No doubt from a Moosecam (tm)!

Bob Kaplow

I am pretty sure I can hear Moose in the background calling out statuses for the Delta IV USAF DSCS III-B6 launch but not for the Delta IV Heavy.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector

The Delta IV HEAVY uses 3 parallel common core boosters. There are several configurations that don't.

Agreed! Boeing has some decent info on the configurations on their website.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Reply to
Kurt Schachner

That was on the NASA channel and he calls the mid-flight ignition motors "air-starts".

ROFL.

Hi Moose!!!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'm guessing (it's Usenet, after all) that they run extra LH around the inner surface of the nozzle bells to chill them and to protect them from too much LOX so they do not burn through. That gives you extra hydrogen around the outside that can then burn as it interacts with the air upon exit.

An e-mail to moose could answer this with facts, but I wouldn't want to ruin a good r.m.r. thread.

;-)

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
shreadvector