DARPA Grand Challenge

Is anybody reading the blogs and NQE results?
People are very confident that there will be not only a winner this year but
more than one team crossing the finish line. Seems that so far Stanford (the Touareg guys) have cleaner runs but Red teams (CMU - the red hummers) are a little faster.
What do you guys think? I think that 2 or 3 miles qualification on an synthetic course is way different than the open desert... who knows?
Personally, I'd like to see a grand challenge 2006. But it would be nice to see a team finishing the course this year. I'm going to Vegas next Friday and I'm gonna be there to watch.
Cheers
Padu
I sure would like to be around there to have a look see.
You're right about the real world vs. the synthetic... but with 23 strong contenders, it sure looks like this time SOMEONE will make it to the finish line.
I see where the one and only Canuck team (Autonosys) failed to qualify. http://www.autonosys.com / Kind of like my home team for me eh! :-)ooo
I also would like to see this sort of thing happen on a regular basis. A little competition spurs innovation... Or whatever.
BTW, what blogs are you following?
DOC
"Open the pod bay doors, HAL!"

but
(the
The main news site, which will have live updates on race progress tomorrow starting at 6AM PST:
http://www.grandchallenge.org /
(Flash required.)
Ian
DOC wrote:

Ian Osgood wrote:

While I love the Grand Challenge, the main news site is nearly unusable. It uses flash for everything and is not rendered well on my main system, an old, wimpy, slow, low resolution, low color machine.
There may be a text version of the site, which they'd need to comply with assorted accessibility rules, but I can't see enough of the site to find it.
Such a cool idea, such a lousey website.
--
Pat

I have the same access problems as I live in the boonies and can only get dial up.
I also thought that there might be some non sanctioned blogs that took a more critical approach to the competition.
Any bookies calling the odds? :-)ooo
DOC

Some invective here! http://transportation.engadget.com/entry/1234000347050453 /
DOC
Looks like we got a race this year! As of 9:24 AM CST, here are the standings thus far:
Red Team Too Distance travelled so far: 27 miles Time on track: 1 hr 1 min
Standford Racing Team Distance travelled so far: 24 miles Time on track: 58 min
Red Team Distance travelled so far: 23 miles Time on track: 59 min
Axiom Racing Distance travelled so far: 19 miles Time on track: 41 min
Intelligent Vehicle Safety Tech Distance travelled so far: 19 miles Time on track: 37 min
Team DAD Distance travelled so far: 17 miles Time on track: 30 min
Pretty sweet...they're releasing bots every five minutes...about a half dozen or so were already eliminated, but a number of contenders are obviously doing it up right. Results taken from http://www.grandchallenge.org
John DOC wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

half
So far, 4 vehicles have completed the course, with only one still on the course, the big old honking truck Terra Max. They pause that one overnight and will allow it to continue at daylight.
Joe
Official times for the four finishers were announced at noon today. Stanford wins the $2 million prize!
6:53:58 (avg 19.1 mph) - Stanford 7:04:50 (avg 18.6 mph) - Red Team Too (Carnegie Mellon) 7:14:00 (avg 18.2 mph) - Red Team 7:30:16 (avg 17.5 mph) - Gray Team (funded by an insurance company!)
Oshkosh's TerraMax is through the Beer Bottle Pass, and is expected to finish within the hour, although with an adjusted time beyond the ten hour race limit. None of the other finalists completed the course.

Thanks for the info - I've been looking for it in the news and on the Grand Challenge site
TerraMax finally finished - still wondering its time.

12 hours, 51 minutes.
From their blog:
Mile 5: Excitement quickly became frustration as our vehicle was enveloped by high winds and debilitating dust - wind and dust that didn't exist for the first competitors that left the starting gate hours earlier.
Mile 65: Dissapointment began to set in as TerraMax appears to be developing a problem, speed has decreased dramatically and navigation has become tentative. We won't understand the problem until we see it at the finish line.
We look forward to tomorrow with pessimistic optimism.
http://www.terramax.com/media/race_log.cfm

Too bad they gotta blame the "wind and dust that

video of TerraMax during the trials at the speedway, it took a long time to get through one gate, backing up a several times before finallly "deciding" to go through. Seems as thouggh maybe it was over engineered. But hey, what do I know, I can't even spell DARPA. And they did finish the course. If anything, they were given specail consideration and allowed to resume the second day.
Joe

I don't think they're blaming that for not winning. The second excerpt points out that they had some sort of other problem.
Red Team Too also suffered some unknown technical glitch which put them out of first place.
All sorts of things happened. Cajunbot's servo motor burned out while it was "paused" waiting for congestion to clear.
Those are the breaks.

Yeah - I got bored watching it, so I didn't see how many times they had to back up.

Yeah - not really special consideration - it was clear they didn't come in under the 10 hour time limit.
Given that they were still running and 18 others had dropped out, I think it was good that they let them finish even after 10 hours had elapsed.

"Ben" wrote

I was there and it was really windy, but that was true for everybody. Terramax left the gate a few hours after the first team. They had to be paused for at least 15 minutes because they were removing Alice (caltech if I'm not mistaken) from the road (quite an entertaining crash, very close to all us). The first teams could also blame light conditions as the sun was not giving full light at dusk.

I don't know if at that point it was already "glitchy", but it took forever for terramax to cross the railroad bridge close Buffalo Bill. It was stop and go for at least 10 minutes.
Real pitty was team ENSCO... they got a flat tire at about 60 and something miles... they were looking very good.
Not trying to take the shine off the winners, but I found that this year it was much easier than last year. Less miles and the only challenging part was beer bottle pass, on the last 7 miles of competition. All that said, teams really improved from last year, as there was no spectacles on the starting chute. Even the last team did close to 7 miles. (I think only one team failed to start)
Overall, it was very fun to be there. Kudos for grayteam team that finished very close to the big dogs.
Cheers
Padu
Did DARPA say they were going to hold another event for next year?
thanks
newtype wrote:

The director of DARPA, Dr. Tony Tether, has announced that there will NOT be another Grand Challenge next year. At least not one for autonomous ground vehicles.
It's over. Now to commercialize the technology.
                John Nagle                 Team Overbot.

humm, What happend last year? oh yeah, what about the Civilian Grand Challenge? Wasn't it going to be called the International Robotic Race Federation, IRRF? At one time I suggested to race in Baja. oh well.
John Nagle wrote:

How did Team Overbot fare in the race?
- dan michaels www.oricomtech.com =======================

Padu,
I'll bet you're glad you went!
Could you describe the crash and any other interesting things you saw?
Joe

Sure! A few things that are still fresh in my mind.
- The organization was very good, at least from my point of view. The only thing I didn't know was the annoying announcer. I believe he must've been thinking he was narrating a NASCAR race... and his jokes were not really funny. - I was expecting to see some of the smaller teams to crash in the starting chute (I know, evil me. but we all have that old primal roman arena instinct, don't we?) but neither did... I guess the technical level really rose from last year. - The sun rising and the headlights of stanley, highlander and sandstorm at the starting chute was really beautifull - It was very nice that some of the teams that didn't make at the NQE was also there and exposing their cars to the public. Special thanks to team Banzai and Ghostrider. They gave very good demonstrations of their technologies. - One of the highlights of the day was really Alice running on the berm. The bots left the starting chute going north Las Vegas bound, spend some time on the dry lake then return to another pass close to the stands (very well thought for entertaining purposes). While we were watching other teams being released from the starting chute, suddenly everybody was "woooow". Then I looked at the berm and there it was alice. She came close to those big concrete islands, run over it and was climbing the berm when I think the shadow vehicle hit the e-stop. Otherwise I believe it would succesfully climb the berm, tear the fence apart and just continue forward towards the crowd.... it looked like a tractor. - Terramax was one of the most waited bots to be launched from the starting chute. - The healthy competition between stanford and cmu. The cheering when the speaker announced that stanford had passed highlander, and more cheering when stanley appeared on the live broadcast of beer bottle pass. - The three first bots coming from the beer bottle pass and crossing the finish line. The stands completely full of people, all cheering and screaming for the robots. - The 3-D live tracking of the bots were really great. My only complain is that it should be in a place where a greater number of people could be watching it constantly.
Well, this is what I could remember. I'm sure there is much more to it. And as the speaker told at least 18 times: one more page on the history books were being written right before our eyes...
Cheers
Padu