DARPA Grand Challenge will be on UK TV.

A UK TV channel, BBC 2, will show a Horizon programme with the title "The Great Robot Race". Its about 20 robot cars racing across the Nevada desert.

It will be on Tuesday 31st October, at 9 pm.

-- Martin Sondergaard, London, UK.

Reply to
Martin Sondergaard

WOW.

They were some cool robots.

I could not believe any of the vehicles completed the challenge, let alone that many.

AND next year their gonna do 63 miles in the city. (Not a real city surley, with real people and traffic ?)

Anyone from the UK fancy financing a DARPA GC bid ?

Reply to
Rob Last

No, not a real city. The legal issues would be unworkable. It will be a closed course. But they are planing on putting real cars and real test drivers on the course with the robots. Because of the potential for accidents with their test drivers involved, they have required that all robots be built on street legal production car platforms that have a provable safety record to minimize the chance of harm to the humans.

Because of the nature of the funding, I believe the team captain must be a US citizen. But I believe they allow non US citizens and companies to participate on the teams without restriction.

Reply to
Curt Welch